Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Dust specs inside lens

While out in the bright sun this weekend, I looked into the lens with the sun behind me and saw some dirt/dust specs on the lens. I removed the UV filter hoping it was just somehow between the filter and lens or on the outside of the lens. After cleaning with my lens cloth, and to my dismay, the dust is on the inside. This is the Sony SAL-75300 (if it matters).

Is there anything I can do to remedy this? I'm fairly new to the SLR/DSL world and was wondering what can be done.

thcheme
    ========
    Sony a300
    18-70 kit lens
    75-300 Sony lens

Lightbulb Take it back to the store ...

I would return it to where I bought it, as this is, more than likely, a manufacturer's defect in production and it should be pretty obvious that YOU didn't open the lens.

Please realize that these cheaper lenses are NOT weather-proof or "sealed" so they may beef about that. If you do not get any satisfaction from the store manager (you may need to go that high), I would tell him you are writing a letter to their store chain headquarters, Consumer Reports and complaining ... get his name and also inform him you and your family will not be back for ANY future purchases.

In these times of a shut-down and bear market ... that kind of exposure is not the kind of thing they want. Especially for <$200 return item. They should be able to replace this rather cheap lens with on-hand stock, without batting an eye. Your satisfaction should be paramount, as you weren't the one filling the lens with factory dust particulates.

They can return the defect to their distributor for almost instantaneous replacement of stock. Witht he volume of product we are talking about, this is a routine event ... not an exception.

BTW: Welcome back to the forum, you probably have been using your new toy all this summer, I suppose.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-15-2008 at 11:17 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks Don. Will try the store (Circuit City) and will let you know what happens. As for shooting this summer, yes I have been. Surprised how fast a 2 GB card goes empty.

Here is one of my favorites (Hope it comes through as I never posted a pic before)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    thcheme
    ========
    Sony a300
    Sony 18-70 kit lens
    Sony 75-300 zoom lens
    Sony ACC-AMFM11 Carrying Case

Cool Resizing matters

That's a great shot, but when you are resizing, I'd recommend using 1024, at your largest width, otherwise, it is off the monitor and you have to scrool. Doing that with panorama shots is understandable, but with standard frames ... not so much

@ 1024 width
    Name:  airborne.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  454.8 KB
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

do you like the 75-300mm?
    i returned mine because i found it was a little slow and soft.
    i would love to get a hold of a beercan.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

75-300 Sony is an OK lens. For the money though, there's definitely much better out there. The beercan is one that's definitely worth mentioning but on the shorter end @ 70-210mm. The one that everyone has here is the Tamron 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di lens. It's one hell of a tele lens and compliments the kit lens very well as you have 18-300mm covered with 2 lenses. The quality is much better than the Sony, it's cheaper, has a 6 year warranty, and it's built like a tank!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I put in a vote also for the Tamron 70-300mm a great lens at a great price, my favorite everyday lens, keep thinking I should buy a spare in case Sony/Tamron takes it away!
    Speaking of built like a tank, you want to look at Tokina, if you need the reach, and have good light to shoot in the Tokina 80-400 ATX is a awesome piece of glass, big and heavy!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/