Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Lumix DMC-LX3 macro shot

I don't know if Jeff reads these posts, but I figured I'd post this here. In the past I've sent him emails.

I see something that Jeff doesn't see, and I'm curious why that might be. In the macro shot of Mickey Mouse, I see speckling throughout the whole picture. The [brownish] white background, especially, looks speckled to me, as does Mickey's white base. Actually, except for the blue magician's hat, I can see a speckled pattern all over the photo. Don't those speckles qualify as noise? Jeff said, "I don't see any noise or noise reduction artifacting here."

I have a high-quality 17" CRT monitor set at 800 x 600 resolution -- perhaps that's why I see the speckling and Jeff doesn't. If Jeff has, say, a 17" monitor at 1024 x 768 or higher resolution, that might mask such small details. This is just a thought.

My 19" LCD monitor is set to 1280x1024 (fwiw), and I see what you mentioned.

However I see it on the white background (less so on the pedestal) for every review I checked as a reference such as the Fujifilm F100fd, Canon PowerShot SD890 IS and Pentax K20D, where the Pentax is the best of the 3 plus the LX3.

It's almost non-existent on the Nikon D90 reference shot. Again, fwiw on my monitor, but the SLRs do appear to have less of whatever it is that I see on my system.

It's probably dust... I need to get a new surface for my photo table too, it's a bit dirty.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page