Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    So did you actually take those first few pictures before playing with it? Or did you just put the Tammy box back in the shipping box for the picture? I wouldn't have been able to wait.
    The two posts are in chronological order . I couldn't really wait either, but having to wait an extra day gave me more patience I suppose.

That's a great chart Don. BTW Don, how long is the 200-500mm (just the capped lens without the hood)? Is it about 9 inches?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Oh yeah ... congrats on the lens, pal! LOL

11-inches long ... 5 1/2-inches across
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-10-2008 at 07:58 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

thanks. dang... with the caps at the smallest? That's ridiculously long... oh well this and that lens will take care of the zoom end.... :sigh...
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

No ... that's with the filter stack and adj ring. Minimum length is 9 3/4-inches.

Either way, the LowePro LC5 would be the correct choice.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-10-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Gotcha . another quick question. does the VG-C70AM make your A700 difficult to hold with the RC2 plate? I'm holding on to the 70-200 with the RC2 on the tripod mount and it's very uncomfortable. I'm thinking I would need a vertical grip now to help balance the weight, but am not sure if it's worth it right now. Just trying to weigh my options as usual .
    flickr

I have owned the VG-C70AM from the day it came out. It has an RC2 plate on it and it has not been an issue (for me). I have a RC2 plate on my DiCain VG for the A100. I really cannot remember not having it installed. I have one on the bottem of each of my lens tripod rings, too. I do not want to have to unscrew them it I do not have to.

Each tripod and monopod head has a RC2 receiver mount, also. Admittedly, some of the lens mounting orientations have to be changed if you mount on the tripod, with the lens mount, because of the RC2's release handle hitting the vertical grip. With the 70-200mm and the 180mm MACRO, they just get too close, front to back. Turned 90-degrees, where the release handle face to the side ... alleviates this particular problem, except with the grip-ball and the tilt-pan head. They are a whole different animal. With the ball-head, it's really not an issue.

180mm f/3.5 Di MACRO (Note the short distance from the RC2 handle to the end of the lens mount.)
    Name:  180mm-tripod-ring.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  157.9 KB

70-200mm f/2.8 Di (Note the even shorter distance from the RC2 handle to the end of the lens mount. Heck, they are nearly even!)
    Name:  70-200mm-tripod-ring.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  185.8 KB

200-500 f/5-6.3 Di
    Name:  200-500mm-tripod-ring.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  207.0 KB

With the 200-500mm it is NOT an issue at all. There is plenty of clearance, using front to back orientation, with that lens.

If I had my A700 (which is on its way back! Yay!), I'd have demonstrated this better.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-10-2008 at 09:18 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Congrats Dr4gon, saw your pics on flickr before i came here! good for you, lets see what else this bad boy can do other then fight the dark at soccer games!! I have been using mine with out the tripod ring on and hand holding the lens the first few times my left hand actualy cramped up! Don have you been able to register your lens online yet? I am having a problem, my receipt has on serial numner on it and the lens plate has another number on it, Tamron phone support hasn't got back to me yet or rgistered the lens, they say the number on the plate "831" doesn't appear to have been sold yet!!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

A quick follow up, my store receipt listes #000231, the lens and the id card in the box list 000831, the 'seal" on the box maybe it's a 2 maybe it's a 8 the number is hard to read. I am going with 831 as thats whats on the lens itself LOL Hope to resolve this I want that warranty! I have thought of maybe getting the lowepro heavy duty cases to piggy back to each side the 70-200 and the 200-500 when I get it to balance the load so to speak. Not sure what bag to get yet, but have 'worried' a bit about having my most expensive lenses on the "outside" of the bag.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I have owned the VG-C70AM from the day it came out. It has an RC2 plate on it and it has not been an issue (for me). I have a RC2 plate on my DiCain VG for the A100. I really cannot remember not having it installed. I have one on the bottem of each of my lens tripod rings, too. I do not want to have to unscrew them it I do not have to.

Each tripod and monopod head has a RC2 receiver mount, also. Admittedly, some of the lens mounting orientations have to be changed if you mount on the tripod, with the lens mount, because of the RC2's release handle hitting the vertical grip. With the 70-200mm and the 180mm MACRO, they just get too close, front to back. Turned 90-degrees, where the release handle face to the side ... alleviates this particular problem, except with the grip-ball and the tilt-pan head. They are a whole different animal. With the ball-head, it's really not an issue.

With the 200-500mm it is NOT an issue at all. There is plenty of clearance, using front to back orientation, with that lens.
    Thanks, I saw your post on dynax from a little while back regarding the 90 rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Congrats Dr4gon, saw your pics on flickr before i came here! good for you, lets see what else this bad boy can do other then fight the dark at soccer games!! I have been using mine with out the tripod ring on and hand holding the lens the first few times my left hand actualy cramped up! Don have you been able to register your lens online yet? I am having a problem, my receipt has on serial numner on it and the lens plate has another number on it, Tamron phone support hasn't got back to me yet or rgistered the lens, they say the number on the plate "831" doesn't appear to have been sold yet!!
    Yup, you won that battle in soccer against the darkness!

A quick follow up, my store receipt listes #000231, the lens and the id card in the box list 000831, the 'seal" on the box maybe it's a 2 maybe it's a 8 the number is hard to read. I am going with 831 as thats whats on the lens itself LOL Hope to resolve this I want that warranty! I have thought of maybe getting the lowepro heavy duty cases to piggy back to each side the 70-200 and the 200-500 when I get it to balance the load so to speak. Not sure what bag to get yet, but have 'worried' a bit about having my most expensive lenses on the "outside" of the bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Mine is 140 and Sean's is 231
    Don think it's 231, but he's probably looking off the receipt too. I would definitely go with what's on the lens.

Do you think I should be registering my Tamron lenses? Is there a certain time frame in which you have to do so? hmmm.... perhaps I should claim them as my own as far as Tamron is concerned.... I didn't realize Tamron has such a good (maybe faulty lol) control over which of their lenses get sold.

You know that little card with the serial on it? My 17-50 never came with one. I hope it's ok. The warranty card was included though, I think that has the serial somewhere on it, if not it's certainly on the sticker on the box.
    flickr

Red face

Call Alpine and have them do so ... talk to "Mike" and explain my involvement. They should straighten it out. It was "special, pre-paid order." The lens was sold before it ever got to the store. All I did was pick it up and ship it.

BTW: I got e-mail notification from TAMRON, yesterday, that MY lens is registered.

To wit:
    "Thank you for your purchase of a Tamron lens and for taking time to register your lens for the Six-Year Tamron USA Warranty online. Your Confirmation Number is Cxxxxxxxxx. We are in receipt of your valid proof of purchase and have finalized your warranty registration. Retain a copy of this email along with your original proof of purchase and product box. If you are ever in need of service, please visit www.tamron.com or call 1-800-827-8880 for instructions on how to obtain service. Please enjoy taking pictures with your new Tamron lens."

Man, it would have been nice if they had offered a rebate check with this one, too!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-10-2008 at 09:16 PM.

flickr & Sdi