Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bad Generic Experiences

I have bought generic batteries twice, once for a JVC camcorder, the battery gage in the camcorder always showed the generic battery as being dead, so I never knew how much battery I had left until it really was dead. Second experience was last year bought a generic battery with my Panasonic digital camera, the generic lasts about 1/2 the time of the Panasonic battery.

$0.02

Okay, you guys know how Duracell think they're l33t because they put a date on their batteries? Well, they are. The catch is this. Alkaline batteries can sit on a shelf a long ass time before they really start to degrade, but Lithium-Ion's can't.

When you buy an OEM battery, you can be reasonably sure it's only been on the shelf of you local BestBuy for maybe a couple months (at the most) and that battery you just paid $40-$70 for is gonna be in pretty good shape.

By contrast, when you buy a generic, the previous poster was exactly right. For the most part, a battery is a battery is a battery. And when that generic was manufactured it was just as good as the one in BestBuy. Now because they're so cheap, and have less packaging etc, they sell REALLY well, and rightly so. Therefore the manufacturers of these generic batteries make TRILLIONS of them (not really, but a lot). This is also fine, however, they're such a commodity they get sold, and put in warehouses, and re-sold, etc, etc, etc. It might be 2 years from the time the battery was manufactured to the time you pop it in your camera, and by that time the chemicals in that battery are in really lousy shape.

So what it comes down to is a crap-shoot. You get a battery that COULD be brand new, and last twice as long, for a quarter the price, or you might get the one that did the warehouse shuffle that's gonna suck.

Now, personally I'm kinda new to the buying generic batteries thing. The last one I bought for my Canon S100 was OEM and a couple years ago, but it was time for a new one, and I decided to roll the dice. I just bought 2 generic Canon NB-1L replacements from SterlingTek.com. I just got em but haven't tried em out yet. Hopefully I got a good batch, but if not, I still got 2 for the price of one OEM.

Dave

What about the Sony batteries as they have a built in chip or something to tell the camera how much time is left are these reliable, and what about leakage or the battery blowing up there were some generic Nokia ones that were exploding a couple of years back kinda worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by deanos
    What about the Sony batteries as they have a built in chip or something to tell the camera how much time is left are these reliable, and what about leakage or the battery blowing up there were some generic Nokia ones that were exploding a couple of years back kinda worries me.
    Yeah I remember hearing that about cell phone batteries last year too.

I too kinda wonder about the ~1600mah batteries, and why OEM manufactures avoid them and typically release the ~700mah batts. I don't know anything for sure, but it makes sense that the ultra-high-capacity generic batts might be less stable than OEM's who are just erring on the side of caution.

I don't know about the Sony batts inparticular, but I've read a few complaints on here that just about all old Li-Ion batts and espeically generic ones have problems reporting a full charge when they're actually quite low.

I've used my new batts a just to take a couple shots and they seem fine. Unless they melt my camera I'm probably gonna stick with em.

Lightbulb Just an FYI

Just so you know, Energizer doesn't actually make their Digital Camera/Camcorder batteries(excluding AA/AAA's). They license out their name to another company which I can't seem to remember right now.
    Food for thought.

bjmsam Guest

bad luck with generics

The accessory pack I bought with my Canon Powershot S100 included a second NB-1L (3.7V 680mAh), and for years I shot hundreds of photos at a time by alternating between the two. Only last year did they finally begin to struggle, so I bought two generic "NB1LH Replacement" Li-Ions. One was DOA, and the other runs out of juice even before the worn OEMs despite being rated at 1400mAh! Never again.

I've bought generic batteries for all my Powershot (S100, S200, S230, SD110, SD700IS) and they work perfectly.

I've bought them all from this site - https://www.digicamaccessories.com/

Videography Guest

Don't get conned by generics

A lot of the scammers which include websites as well as ebay sellers use the words OEM compatible. That is not OEM. When I look at the picture of the OEM compatible for my Pentax D-163 it does not have the Pentax label on it.

It is rated higher than the original. Why? Why not just make the same battery that came with the camera?

On my previous Pentax camera I have one original battery and one OEM compatible (aka generic) that I bought on the cheap. I treat them both the same but the Pentax battery lasts twice as long as the generic.

I invite someone to show me where I can buy real OEM batteries complete with labeling at cheap places. I'll be on their site in a flash

I've bought generic batteries for all my KODAK EasyShare DX6490 and they work perfectly.
    I've bought them all from this site - http://www.camera-battery.org

Quote Originally Posted by camera-battery.org View Post
    I've bought generic batteries for all my KODAK EasyShare DX6490 and they work perfectly.
    I've bought them all from this site - http://www.camera-battery.org
    Haha, very impressive marketing. You managed to cram 3 of your hyperlinks and one text link into a single post!

Personalized spam.