Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Last
    Too right Rhys

Ebay certainly has its uses but when buying camera batteries etc. you really need to look very carefuly at items comming from China and Japan.

I would always stick with buying from either the US or UK as they both seem to be more reliable for quality and authenticity of items.

But I am sure even in time these cheap imports will start to smother the globe, as all those buyers riped off will try to off load their dodgy purchases
    I do agree that you should use caution, on e-bay, but I have several e-bay batteries that out-perform the OEM version, and have for years.

Who in the US or UK makes LiIon batteries? Alkalines...yes. NiMH...maybe (mostly japan and China as well).

Even my "genuine" OEM Nikon EN-EL3's are made in China. As is the charger.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the non-OEM product comes off the same line.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

After my original batteries die, I use only generic replacement battery no matter it is for notebook or digital camera. Why? They are so cheap, and most of replacement ones have higher capacity than orignals. But you'd better double check sellers' warranty and the condition of the battery. A lot of sellers don't mention details about battery, because the battery is refurbished. And you should get one year warranty for your purchase, because this is a industry standard. I bought batteries for my Canon PowerShot S500 and Sony Mavica from http://www.ebuybatteries.com, I was happy with them, you can take a try there.

Quote Originally Posted by canonboooy
    After my original batteries die, I use only generic replacement battery no matter it is for notebook or digital camera. Why? They are so cheap, and most of replacement ones have higher capacity than orignals. But you'd better double check sellers' warranty and the condition of the battery. A lot of sellers don't mention details about battery, because the battery is refurbished. And you should get one year warranty for your purchase, because this is a industry standard. I bought batteries for my Canon PowerShot S500 and Sony Mavica from http://www.ebuybatteries.com, I was happy with them, you can take a try there.
    Thanks for that pointer.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by c2ironfist
    Hey guys

this is a lot of posting lol but I got lots of questions..

Okay... here goes

As you guys know Lithium Ion batteries arn't cheap and cost a fortune.

My question is.

What does OEM stand for and

Are the generic batteries available online as good as the official one? I've read in some auctions that they are just as good or bettor but they are like a fraction of the price and you know the old saying if its to good to be true then it must be.

I think I read that saying here lol..

But anyways for example

The NB-4L Canon Battery I have cost 70$plus tax at retail stores.. the generic ones selling online is roughly 10$.

Now what do you guys think. Is it just the name we pay for or the official one of higher quality?

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. For example, if I may have a Canon battery. But that battery could be made by Manufacturer A for Canon. Manufacturer A could sell that battery as an 'OEM battery'.

If you want to try a generic battery. suggestion

Check out http://www.sterlingtek.com, 4 generic batteries purchased - 2 Nikon, 1 Canon and 1 Sony all fit, work in OEM chargers and hold charge nicely. Friendly customer service, 1 yr warranty, reasonable shipping charges and battery prices. Maybe it's because Las Cruces is so far from New York city.

Sterling Technologies
    1090 Medpark Drive
    Las Cruces, New Mexico 88005

9-5 Mountain Time M-F
    Phone: 1-877-742-1700
    Fax: 505-526-9230

Power2000 NB4L from J&R or Batterybarn.com

I bought a generic NB4L from J&R for around $20 shipped and it's rated at 900Mah, higher than the stock Canon. I remember the first charge the battery life was a bit short. But since then, the battery has been without a doubt lasting longer than the stock unit. I think http://www.batterybarn.com has this same battery for cheaper. It's made by Vidpro/Power2000 and it's supposedly made in Japan. You can buy 2 of these at the Canon's price!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    Lol. Reminds me of some lightweight batteries I bought in a pound shop.
    What's a pound shop? Is that like the 99-Cent store?

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by EAP
    What's a pound shop? Is that like the 99-Cent store?
    It's a bit more upmarket than that since a 99 cents is approximately half of one pound

I just bought 2 generic BP511 batteries for my Canon 20D. They were just $18 vs. $45-$50 for the real Canon batteries. I haven't received them yet. I'll let you know how they fare. I bought them to use in the battery grip that I ordered.

I used my two generic, Power2000, Canon type BP511 batteries today with my new Speedlite 580EX Flash and the BG-E2 battery grip.

I was just playing around taking shots to get a feel for the flash. Its the first time that I've ever bought or used an external flash. Anyway, I took about 30 or so shots before I noticed my battery power meter telling me that the battery power was almost gone. That't not good.

I'm returning them and getting the Canon Brand BP511 battery.