Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a professional camera for Live Band Photography

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Under $1000 to start

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

Size doesn't matter

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

I don't really know.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

I am not sure would be best. I am looking for a camera that would be good for Live Band Photography.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

8-10

Do you care for manual controls?

I Don't know

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

Live Concerts, some outdoor, mostly action shots

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

Maybe

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Yes, I am sure I will

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

action yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    No

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    No

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Image Stablization. I'm not sure about wide angle

This application really calls out of a DSLR with a good fast lens.

because you don't need a high frame rate, you can probably go with any entry level DSLR coupled with some extremely fast glass. Nikon has the 85mm f1.4 and the 200mm f2 but there are many cheaper options (not quite as fast) that should do. I'm less knowledgeable with the Canon line but I'm sure they have some equivalent lenses. Pentax has a lot of great fast primes, while Sony has Carl Zeiss and Minolta glass. I say in this situation, research the lens you will want/need and then build a system around that. That's all the help I can be.

P.S. before you buy any camera, make sure you hold the camera first.

P.P.S. Sony and Pentax have in body stabilization, while Nikon and Canon have premium lenses with stabilization built in the lens. Happy shooting.
    PENTAX K100D, 18-55mm kit lens, Cosina-K 28mm f2.8, FA 50mm f1.4, K-Mount 135mm f2.8, DA 50-200mm lens, Sigma EF 500 DG Super flash
    The Tb Photos Flickr Photostream
    The Tb Photos Blog
    Tb Photos

How far away would you be from the band? What kinds of shots are you hoping for (full body, entire band, head and shoulders...)?
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I'd suggest that you get a 1.4 and the XSi or a 40D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

hmm this was last night

450D + 50mm 1.4 @ ISO 800

the only noise reduction was in camera (I should turn it off.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone for all the help. I still have a few questions and I am trying hard to sound like I really know nothing, but I don't know much and a person has to start somewhere. so...
    -ghost -
    How do I know if I am holding a camera wrong?

-TheWengler-
    Most of the concerts will be alot like the picture posted by Turn. I will be able to be close, side of the stage, in front of the stage. I will not do many full band live shots. I think I will find myself in funny postions to get shots, I'm kinda more free, not one to wait for the perfect shot, really just having fun, being creative, getting loads of shots, some good and maybe some not so good. So, really I will be close to the bands, with low lighting and crazy stage lights. oh, I believe it will be mostly Loud Punk rock or rock, but loud, will noise affect my shots?

-Turn-
    That shot is alot of what I think I will be looking at. What is the best photo editor out there? And again even if I feel silly about asking I am going to or I won't learn so, the things you suggested what is the brand or do I just look for 450D + 50mm 1.4 @ ISO 800 and people will know what I am looking for? Also, where is the best place to look for cameras and lens and the extras... the web?

-------
    You all are welsome to answer any of the questions I just posted. It is just easier for my head to do it this way.
    Thanks again! I already know more than I knew before.
    Michelle

I think the Canon XSi (450D) would be fine. A 30ish mm lens would be good for normal shots. Maybe 85mm for close up shots. 50mm for something in the middle. Loud noise shouldn't cause any problems. There's a user (Nickcanada) in the Canon DSLR forum who does some band photography. He might have some ideas.

B&H is one of the best sites to buy from online.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    Last edited by TheWengler; 10-16-2008 at 05:41 PM.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Thank you so much. I looked at that site and it is awesome. Very Helpful! Are you saying 3 different lenses? What I am seeing mostly on B&H is Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS lens that comes with the camera you suggested. Thank you so much!
    Michelle

I have also found
    - Alpha DSLR-A300 SLR Digtial Camera with Sony 18-70mm Lens & 55-200mm Lens