Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

I need help with my A200 & Beercan.

Hey everyone, hope all is well.

I bought my A200 to supplement my ailing (at the time) 5D because of FFB and a scratched sensor alias filter. It's been a great ride so far.

I've noticed, though, that it hates my beercan.

I'll be the first to admit that I am still very very new to DSLR tech, so the answer may be obvious, so if you have an explanation for my problem please do tell. My best guess so far is it could be a number of things: higher resolution sensor exposes more of my beercan copy's flaws, tin oxide coating (?) on sensor, maybe overly aggressive autofocus that misses more often than not, lack of that magic "digital coating"- I really don't know I guess.

Here's the problem. Pictures just seem softer, cloudier, halo-ier (haha), more prone to CAs and PFs and just terrible with my A200 and the beercan versus the exact same lens on my 5D. I would love to take advantage of the faster autofocus on the pokey 'can, but at this rate I might need to get one of them new-fangled digital lenses. But I pray and hope it's just my lack of photography skill that is the shortcoming and all you wise folks can enlighten me.

I ran a rather non-scientific test today because I'm at my wits end. If I'm being irrational please say so, I may just need a kick in the arse.

Both cameras were tripod mounted, ISO 100, SSS off, default Creative Styles and all settings @ 0, DRO off on the A200, shot within minutes of each other in highest quality jpeg. Mind you, I tried to shoot a subject that would exagerrate the problem, but it is also becoming a problem in real world shots too. Maybe the answer is obvious and my beercan is just skunky.

Here's the test subject, crops will be the central portion.

A200 is obviously on left, 5D on right. Thanks for any help.

Beercan @ 210mm | F4

Beercan @ 210mm | F5.6

Beercan @ 210mm | F8

Even downsampling the A200 to the same size as the 5D yields less than ideal results methinks:

I now I might be being nitpicky, but it just seems less than legendary on my A200 now. I notice it especially on people's faces, they seem to have a veil of fog and are have a slight blur to them. I'll hunt some samples of those down and post them too.

Thanks again.

-Brian
    grip: KM Maxxum 5D | Minolta 50mm f1.4 neck: Sony A200 | Minolta 70-210mm f4
    backup: Fuji s6000fd | pocket: Fuji F20SE
    sentimental: Sony DSC-S85
    wife: Canon s800IS | 9yo daughter: Canon s410

Brian, are you even close to a camera store?

To me, this appears to be one of those "try another lens" situations.

Find a SONY Style store, nearby, and get your hands on a SAL 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 or a SAL 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens ... run outside (sunny day, of course) and shoot some high contrast shots ... lamp posts against the sky, branches of trees against the sky ... heck, people in the mall to check for clarity.

No SONY Style store? Then try and locate a camera store that has the new TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD MACRO lens (SONY-mount) and fire off a few into your α200 with that puppy, for a quality check. Do not have any kind of romantic music playing, at the time, or you just might fall in love with this lens.

This will prove out one of two things:

1) The α200 is not at fault
    2) You really need a new lens

I figure if you truly want the answer to this, you'll make the effort. You will solve your own questions with the results and they are simple enough to do.

If worse comes to worse, use the SONY Style store's demo α200 to take some shots with your lens (the "can") in question. Please note, the "can" was designed for use on film bodies (not a "D" lens) ... and it just might have been better left there.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-07-2008 at 10:07 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks Don.

I knew I could count on a quick and wise response, especially from you.

Embarrassingly, there actually *are* two SonyStyle stores within 40 miles of my home, but I never even thought of doing that. The closer one (South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, CA) is in a very bourgeois "noses up in the air"-type of mall, so I don't know how crazy they'd be if I asked to mount my beercan on one of their Sony bodies; they were even hesitant to let me try their 16-80 in-store on my 5D back when the A100 was the only Sony body in town. Then again, I should probably just ask.

The Ritz by my house has a single A200 body which is purely for show, as the gentlemen told me that the mirror got scratched to hell.

I will figure something out (maybe a Samy's or a local shop) and definitely address the problem. It's something that I do want to get to the bottom of.

Thanks again, and glad I'm not crazy.
    grip: KM Maxxum 5D | Minolta 50mm f1.4 neck: Sony A200 | Minolta 70-210mm f4
    backup: Fuji s6000fd | pocket: Fuji F20SE
    sentimental: Sony DSC-S85
    wife: Canon s800IS | 9yo daughter: Canon s410

Lightbulb Expect what you inspect

Well, I have posted shots, done indoors, where I can elicit purple fringe from many lenses. It usually is a poduct of the lens and the camera combimnation ... and the way the light reflects. What you are seeing is not all THAT bad ... but, I feel you would be well served in doing the experiment to allow youself the comfort of knowing that better glass does make for better imaging.

It is a "see it for yourself" kind of proposition. I know I am just skeptical enough to have to prove it to myself, despite other's recommendations. I know, I know ... but ,I do not mind ferreting out the truth. Hell, that's half the fun. If I waited for everyone else to problem solve for me, I'd be voting for Obama. LOL And, that ain't gonna happen!

Like they say at school, say it in your images!

Name:  McCain-Palin-(border).jpg
Views: 271
Size:  239.8 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-08-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well, I have posted shots, done indoors, where I can elicit purple fringe from many lenses. It usually is a poduct of the lens and the camera combimnation ... and the way the light reflects. What you are seeing is not all THAT bad ... but, I feel you would be well served in doing the experiment to allow youself the comfort of knowing that better glass does make for better imaging.

It is a "see it for yourself" kind of proposition. I know I am just skeptical enough to have to prove it to myself, despite other's recommendations. I know, I know ... but ,I do not mind ferreting out the truth. Hell, that's half the fun. If I waited for everyone else to problem solve for me, I'd be voting for Obama. LOL And, that ain't gonna happen!

Like they say at school, say it in your images!

Name:  McCain-Palin-(border).jpg
Views: 271
Size:  239.8 KB
    Nice "action shot" and cool button!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

That looks like McCain when he was 20. LOL
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8