Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

what will your next purchase be?

yep, nothing like dreaming.

i'll start.

my next purchase will be the vagabond II portable battery power system from alien bees. $299
    http://alienbees.com/VIIsystem.html

this'll make it where i can shoot outdoors with my studio strobes. since they're a lot more powerful than my portable flashes i can actually use umbrellas and softboxes instead of bare bulb like i do now and get the same effects...cept with better/softer light.

i also kinda want a fisheye or extreme wide angle lens...and a macro...but it'll be a looong time before i buy either.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

A nifty fifty hopefully......
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Minolta Riva 100AF, Sinpo PQ-3, Olympus mju-III wide 100, Yashica 635
    Digital
    Sony cybershot W90, cybershot T90
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Sigma 24mm f1.8|50mm f2.8|105mm f2.8 Samyang 8mm fisheye
    Portfolio

More Vivitars, sync cords, & miniphone splitters. I wanna make another one of these:

I've already got 2 more Vivitars and another bracket. Just need 2 more flashes and the cables. When I get the other bits & bobs for setup #2, I'll just run it so that all four lights are triggered by the same receiver. In the meantime, I'll be running either the 4 x 1 configuration as above (mostly outdoors), or a 2 x 2 combination (mostly in rooms ie receptions).
    Last edited by cdifoto; 09-25-2008 at 11:03 AM.
    Ouch.

Manfrotto Digi monopod with the quick-release head.

I want new lenses... but I think this will be enough for now. I've wanted a 10-20 for a long time now, but it just never seems to happen.
    My best pics on Flickr

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/garysimmons
    Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/GarySimmonsPhotography

Gear: Canon 60D, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC II, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC, Sigma 120-400 DG OS. 1 430EX, 1 430EXII, 1 580EXII, ST-E2, Manfrotto 190XPROB (soon to be replaced by the carbon version)
    Plus filters, wireless triggers and other junk...

Quote Originally Posted by adam75south View Post
    yep, nothing like dreaming.

i'll start.

my next purchase will be the vagabond II portable battery power system from alien bees. $299
    http://alienbees.com/VIIsystem.html

this'll make it where i can shoot outdoors with my studio strobes. since they're a lot more powerful than my portable flashes i can actually use umbrellas and softboxes instead of bare bulb like i do now and get the same effects...cept with better/softer light.

i also kinda want a fisheye or extreme wide angle lens...and a macro...but it'll be a looong time before i buy either.
    I love my vagabond II unit. I've only used it for 2 shoots but my latest beach shots were used with it.

My next planned purchase is the Alienbees Cybersyncs.
    Tim
    Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark II, Rebel XS
    50 F1.4, 85 F1.8, 100 2.8 Macro 70-200 F4L 580EX, 24-70 F2.8L

Question Power-starved illumination

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    More Vivitars, sync cords, & miniphone splitters. I wanna make another one of these:

I've already got 2 more Vivitars and another bracket. Just need 2 more flashes and the cables. When I get the other bits & bobs for setup #2, I'll just run it so that all four lights are triggered by the same receiver. In the meantime, I'll be running either the 4 x 1 configuration as above (mostly outdoors), or a 2 x 2 combination (mostly in rooms ie receptions).
    Do you cycle batteries as often as it looks you might, with these?

That's awesome portable firepower!

Personally, going with the thread, my next purchase is the Full Frame ... but I have decided to put it off until next year ... to see if the price gets better ... and also since I have, pretty much, shattered my "defense budget" for the hobby, this year. A record number of lens purchases and lighting upgrades ... and we all know how important glass and light is to this project.

EDIT: Sorry, I just popped for a Carbon Fiber tripod. Got tired of lugging that aluminum monster around. It's solid ... but, really tiring at the end of a mobile shoot.
    EDIT II: Sorry again, I picked up a new, larger sling bag to accomodate a new lens and a replacement lens case to hold it on my backpack. (Ok ... we return you back to our regularly scheduled thread)

Whatever your own purhases are ... good luck in all your efforts ... and, above all, GET THE SHOT!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-26-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

1. 430EX
    2. EF-S 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post

What do you use that for? Search and rescue? Interrogations?
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Do you cycle batteries as often as it looks you might, with these?

That's awesome portable firepower!
    I haven't put it to use yet. I just received the 2nd splitter and Vivitar sync cords needed to run the two additional lights today. I do know that I'll have to buy more batteries but the plan is instead of running one flash at full power and constantly waiting on recycles & changing out batteries, I'll run either two flashes at 1/2 power or four flashes at 1/4 power. It's all the same amount of total light that way, but 1/2 power recycles 2x as fast and 1/4 power is virtually always ready for the next shot. If my theory holds water, I'll go through the same amount of batteries, just not as often. If that makes sense. Plus, the full power is always there if I need it.

I also have more creative options with at least two flashes on the same stand. For example, I can run one up for room lighting, and one straight ahead for rim lighting on the couple during the first dance.
    Ouch.

that's pretty awesome don. where'd you get the bracket?
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.