Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What is the big deal with the Canon G series

I really REALLY don't get it, the photos look the same like any Powershot, the noise levels suck, the price is high and it just seems to be more of a name than anything

while the G10 looks yummy, if the noise levels are still as crap as the G9 then really, I blatantly think there is no point for the G series to even exist.

The SX1 IS seems to be the true "flagship" Canon (CMOS sensor after all..) (hoping the 20x zoom doesn't mess it up..)

yeah great about the 1/1.7” sensor, but I really don't see any difference...
    Last edited by Turn; 10-06-2008 at 05:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Well, anyone expecting dSLR noise levels isn't being realistic. I think it's more to do with the full featured functionality of it. But I'm not sure. I've never used one. I wouldn't buy one either though, as I believe they're too expensive.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    Well, anyone expecting dSLR noise levels isn't being realistic. I think it's more to do with the full featured functionality of it. But I'm not sure. I've never used one. I wouldn't buy one either though, as I believe they're too expensive.
    I'm not expecting its noise levels to be dSLR quality, I'm just saying for that price, you'd expect it to be a bit better in that aspect compared to other compacts..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

I agree, the G's have always seemed over-rated to me. The A6XX powershots offer just about as much but are smaller, cheaper, and have a swivel LCD so they seem like a better deal. I'm dissapointed Canon did not release an A660. Have they given up on the A6XX series? Shame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by bascom View Post
    I agree, the G's have always seemed over-rated to me. The A6XX powershots offer just about as much but are smaller, cheaper, and have a swivel LCD so they seem like a better deal. I'm dissapointed Canon did not release an A660. Have they given up on the A6XX series? Shame on them.
    I had a G3 many moons ago. At that time, the G3 was markedly better than the A-Series in most respects. Since then, however, I must admit that the relevance of the G-series has become a lot less clear.
    Canon XTi, 18-55mm IS
    Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Digital ELPH
    Canon PowerShot SX10 IS