Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Memory Cards

Memory Cards

I just upgraded from a Maxxum 5D to an A700.
    I need to upgrade the size of my Compact Flash.
    I currently use an extreme IV 2GB but need more storage to shoot in raw format.
    Any of you a700 users have comments on the best or worse memory cards for this camera?
    Thanks

Question How much is enough? Who cares?

Well, personally, this is the one I use routinely,

Name:  Transcend 32gb.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  6.2 KB

the second is for my backup camera.

Name:  Transcend 16GB.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  28.4 KB

It allows you to do a lot of different configurations between RAW, cRAW and JPEG combinations. I do not want to be pressed into emptying my Memory Cards just to accomodate a shoot of ANY size. Both cards shoot at 133X, and while that is not the fastest speed around, by any means, it does a good job of keeping up with the α700's rapid fire burst capability.

It will take at least six to eight battery change cycles (even with a vertical grip) to even fill this puppy, more than likely, a lot more than that. In other words, you will run out of battery support before you can overrun the capacity of this card. It's rather funny to look at the LCD's frame counter and see that you only have 300-shots left ... and are figuring you are running kind of LOW. LOL

I also have a SanDisk Extreme® IV 8.0 GB CF card. It sits in the bag as a emergency backup. LOL Can you imagine?

BTW: I also keep a 8GB Memory Stick PRO Duo in the A700, along with the 32 GB CF, just in case I leave the 32GB in the card reader of the computer, by accident.

The one warning I have to mention is that these larger cards do tend to make you lazy ... and you should still do your weekly (or every shoot) backups of your memory media, no matter how large. Anything can happen, these days, so having the "best back-up" of your work is a really solid idea.

One other thing: If you can get your hands on a 256MB CF or SD, they make a great size to use for those digital picture frames. (Just a gift idea, this close to Christmas: give family digital copies tp mom, dad, bro & sis. You can send it in a Christmas Card! It saves a ton in print and postage costs, alone!)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-05-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Smile Thanks

Don,

Thanks for the information. Your idea of leaving a memory stick in the camera "just in case" is a good one and I will do that.
    I take a lot of high school sports photos so I want a faster card than 133x.
    Also I would never leave 32gb of photos on a card, I download and backup every shoot. I will probably go with an 8gb, more than enough.

Thanks much for responding.
    Peter

Question How many ...

You can get about 1200 RAW + JPEG out of a 32 GB ... that's just enough, I figure. It gets to be a mess, shooting like that, let tell ya.

Here's a earlier link that discussed the Transcend 32GB CF card in the SONY α700.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-05-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

sandisk C.F. rebates till 10/11/08

if anyone is in the market for extra memory. Sandisk on there compact flash cards has some pretty good rebates in effect, you get a prepaid visa card after purchase. Looks like the best deals are on the 4 and 8GB extreme IV. check your local 0nline dealer. Adorma is a little bit cheaper then B&H with free shipping also from Adorma. and if you buy 2 cards it's a greater rebate. I don't know how fast you can get the rebate Visa card but if before 10/11/08 you could use it towards another card!

LOL I just posted this in 2 other forums on this site, think I am going to get another 4GB extreme IV from Adorma $24.95 after rebate with free shipping.
    the 8GB extreme IV is $54.00 after rebate and free shipping.
    Don they only have rebates on those little 16GB's I'm sure you don't need anything that small anymore LOL
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Hey, thanks ... remember, my last Memory Card was back in June. We are a "manufacturing cycle" or two away from that!

At Photokina, they introduced the 48GB, 64GB and proposed 100GB cards.

"Pretec, creator of the highest capacity CompactFlash card in the world (48GB) and the fastest CF card in the world (333X) will demonstrate even higher capacities including a 64GB CF card, in the Leaf booth (West Hall 4.2, B009) and CFA (Hall 5.1, G-019) at Photokina 2008. Continuing the revolution in the field of flash memory card speed and capacity, Pretec releases 64GB and 100GB, 233X CF cards with access speed of up to 35MB/s, overtaking the Pretec 48GB CF card, the previous world’s record holder for highest capacity CF card; and super high speed 333X 32GB and 50GB CF cards capable of running up to 50 MB per second of Read/Write speed, the highest speed CF card in the world."

Screaming fast ...

Name:  Pretec 32gb-cf-card.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  90.1 KB

Just in case anyone gave a hoot
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-05-2008 at 06:12 PM.

flickr® & Sdi

Wow!! ok maybe just maybe I could see a use for the 48GB, But when where and why would you ever need or WANT 64GB or 100GB. Whtas your calculations on shots per card in Xfine jpeg and then raw, even raw on the 900 that still has to be well HUGE amout of shots.

Leaf digital backs, you know ... Medium-format stuff ... also might be good packing for CF-based video equipment.

flickr® & Sdi

Peterf, welcome to our little slice of the digital world, please visit and post often we need more members of the Sony army! plus this is a great forum to learn share and exchange info. plus some fun. But anyway i shots lots of high school sports with the A700 and it seems to me that the memory stick buffers less after a long burst then the CF card. but in general the CF cards III or Iv write the images faster. I have a 4GB extreme III CF card and a 2GB Sony brand pro duo memory stick in the camera, and I have come nowhere near running out of room.