Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    lol, that's my biggest fear. still being inadequate with a flash, but it's a start!.

the 58 flash does integrate a bounce card (finally sony!), that helps a BIT. And for a single flash, a large diffuser would probably be necessary. Clearly, I have no idea what to expect though. This should be interesting.

How long do those batteries last you in your 42? They seem a bit on the weaker end in comparison to the ~2000+mAh batteries now.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Hey ... don't interpret this improperly.

The pop-up is an emergency solution, ONLY, in my opinion. It often results in "red-eye", seriously hard shadows and wash-out. The pop-up is best left to triggering other things wirelessly, but that can be a challenge due to synchronization delays.

The '58 is your best bet, of all the standard ext. flashes.
    The '56 would be the next
    '42 next
    '36 next

bought in groups, though ... the '58 and the '42 marry up, call them "Phase II"

the '56 and '36 do so, likewise. Call them "Phase I" and have been superceded by "Phase II" flashes.

If you only had one flash to buy, to start the ball rolling, forget "Phase I" flashes and go directly for the '58 flash. You can quickly add the '42 to get slave operation. The '58 gives you the most flexibility and bang in your imaging. Also, the '58 will not group "phase I" flashes ... so that's a negative in any expansion plans. That's really hard to argue against, in my estimation.

I do NOT own a '42 flash.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-11-2008 at 07:52 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Good score on your twin unit dr4gon, Man it's tempting but I just can't spring that kind of cash right at the moment. In several weeks if you still have two of them maybe I can swing it. I am going to have to figure something out as it is almost time for basketball games LOL! I am working 4-12 tonight to pick up some extra cash to apply to the camera and equipment fund. I keep thinking a 36 will be fine for me but then from what I read and hear, and suspect in 6 mo. I will be buying a 58 and going I should have just got this to start with!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Hey ... don't interpret this improperly.

The pop-up is an emergency solution, ONLY, in my opinion. It often results in "red-eye", seriously hard shadows and wash-out. The pop-up is best left to triggering other things wirelessly, but that can be a challenge due to synchronization delays.

The '58 is your best bet, of all the standard ext. flashes.
    The '56 would be the next
    '42 next
    '36 next

bought in groups, though ... the '58 and the '42 marry up, call them "Phase II"

the '56 and '36 do so, likewise. Call them "Phase I" and have been superceded by "Phase II" flashes.

If you only had one flash to buy, to start the ball rolling, forget "Phase I" flashes and go directly for the '58 flash. You can quickly add the '42 to get slave operation. The '58 gives you the most flexibility and bang in your imaging. Also, the '58 will not group "phase I" flashes ... so that's a negative in any expansion plans. That's really hard to argue against, in my estimation.

I do NOT own a '42 flash.
    hmmm, for some reason I thought you had a F36 and a F42, guess it's the f56 then.....

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Good score on your twin unit dr4gon, Man it's tempting but I just can't spring that kind of cash right at the moment. In several weeks if you still have two of them maybe I can swing it. I am going to have to figure something out as it is almost time for basketball games LOL! I am working 4-12 tonight to pick up some extra cash to apply to the camera and equipment fund. I keep thinking a 36 will be fine for me but then from what I read and hear, and suspect in 6 mo. I will be buying a 58 and going I should have just got this to start with!
    Sure I can wait and see if I still have it then. Where do you work? I recall one time you said you worked in law enforcement (police or something?).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

You want to see a heavy solution to the TAMRON 70-210mm f/2.8 ranks ... here's vintage 1995

Name:  TAMRON 70-210mm f28.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  44.9 KB

47 ounces of solid glass!

Nice lug, eh?
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The bag hasn't changed much!

lol...
    flickr

Unhappy Some things really need to change ...

Yes, when I saw it, I understood a little more, also. Some thinking has not progressed much. You would think that after all the improvements that have been made in tote-technology ... sheesh! They are still using a shipping-liner. No, strike that ... an even cheaper version. The handle is of fixed length ... less than six inches tall. Now, there is no shoulder-carry capability at all.

Name:  70-200-case.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  251.1 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-12-2008 at 02:53 PM.

flickr & Sdi

LOL wow how lucky we are, it's a retro re release of a vintage carry sleeve!!
    While i was typing last night i was working as shift commander at the county jail lol! I work out of adult probation but am still a part time reseve deputy. I left full time from the sheriff's dept 11 years ago to go to probation, I was a sergeant when I left, stayed on the reserves. So I can work as supervisor in the jail, or they let me because I can cause the least amount of trouble that way lol. My fun part time job is with concert / tour/event security.
    I'm from the government, I'm here to help......... be afraid, be very afraid!! LOL

Lightbulb Lens sizes ...

During our optics discussions ... I began looking at what would be required to have a 1000mm telephoto with a wide aperture of f/2.8.

Remember, 1000mm is 1 full meter. So the overall lens effectively needs to be one meter in length. Yes, with additional elements or diffractive optic technology, we can physically shorten that, somewhat. Okay ... what about that first element? How big is it?

Well, doing the basic math ... the calculated minimum size is 357.15 mm or about 14 inches in diameter. Taking into account possible light loss from the additional elements, I suspect it would be a couple inches larger. Folks, that's a lot of light gathering. Is it practical? Handheld? LOL

Imagine ... holding any lens that extends a full meter away from your camera. Now, compund that thought with a finely ground first element that weights on the order of ten to fifteen pounds, easily. It boggles the mind. A titanic struggle to even lift the lens, let alone aim it.

At least now you have some idea of why telescopes require sustantial support ... and the more "light gathering" capability they have, the size grows enormously.

So ... when you are considering "bright" glass ... the longer it gets ... the bigger it gets. Real fast! Be very careful what you wish for ... and get a back brace.

So where is that fixed SONY 400mm f/4.5 they were promising, already?

Here's Minolta's fast focusing film-version:

Name:  Minolta 400 f45.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  72.6 KB

and here's SONY's prototype from one of the camera manufacturing shows:

Name:  Super_Telephoto_Fixed_lens_med.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  44.0 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-14-2008 at 11:21 AM.

flickr & Sdi

So would a 500mm 2.8 be one half the size and weight or does the math not break down so easy?