Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zoo Pics

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well, to be honest, you really do need to understand exactly what the '58 brings to the party, otherwise ... it is unappreciated. It does what they now call "flash groups", which is a coordinated combination of future flash heads.

The '56 will work quite well as it stands ... and it is just as bright. The '58's rotating head is definitely an asset for a hot-shoe flash. Photographers usually have to mount their flashes on a flash bracket assembly with flash sync tether cord. This adds weight, awkwardness and a number other undesireable problems, especially if you use a vertical grip.

I could pictorially demonstrate these annoying add-on issues, but trust me on this ... you could stand to save a lot of accessory costs by just buying the NEW '58 flash. Where was it three years ago? Yeah ... in the "mind of Minolta."

Well, you can avoid the eventual expense by just laying out the extra cost and not bypassing this eventual growth, anyway. This is the flash. It works and offers the best results of ANY of them!
    Yup, definitely don't doubt that. Why now I wonder too? Seems like a relatively easy concept that could easily be thought of...

I also love the bounce and rotation features. It's the king of flashes for sure. Also as such, commends a high (the highest) price at the moment. So how long do flashes generally last, if I did happen to get one used a year from now or whatever? (I know it depends on usage, but an estimate if you have any idea would be appreciated).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Let me put it to you this way ... if you look at my gear list ... the flashes on those film bodies are 20+ years old. I still have them and they still operate as they did, then. Just remember to remove the batteries if you are not using them for extended periods of time.

Who wants to live forever?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Let me put it to you this way ... if you look at my gear list ... the flashes on those film bodies are 20+ years old. I still have them and they still operate as they did, then. Just remember to remove the batteries if you are not using them for extended periods of time.

Who wants to live forever?
    Gotcha! That's so true,duh. I got an old Canon manual 35mm SLR and the flash's batteries were left in it. I don't think it works anymore, lol.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Best Buy is NOT the best answer for computer diagnostics. With our multiple power failures from awhile back, and then what I think really did me in was several brown outs, and a couple of dark brown outs! anyway OS got corrupted, worked on it, was on phone with tech support for like 3 hours etc. Could not recover or restore, so tech support was to the wipe it clean and reload. I took it to best buy to do a data backup on my hard drive. Brought it home and checked the backup disc.... it wasn't my data! Took it back in, The geek squad cleaned and deleted the data off all there service computers during the night! So now I have a loner hard drive, and mine is on the way for a forensic data recovery, at there cost. what did we learn from this? external hard drive back up! And don't work on original confidental intel. reports on home computer. LOL. 320 gig passport drive sitting on desk beside me right now!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

wow... that sucks..... someone else's data while your stuff got trashed. Hopefully, you'll get something back. Looks like you need a RAID1, hard drive mirroring array!
    flickr

Yea big time sucks, The data back up I got was from a guy in the county to the North of me, who is a high school girls volley ball coach, had a bunch of team pics, all his coaching notes, drills, practice and fitness plans! So I bet he was glad to get his disc back. They are "highly positive' that my recovery will be a success. wait for it......
    We shall see.... we shall see.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/