Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zoo Pics

hmmm thanks for your opinions don, much appreciated as always. maybe I should just put up with changing lenses for the time being and not even bother getting the 18-250. That would allow me to get the Sony 42 flash and a nice backpack. But with the 70-200mm, I see no point in keeping/using the 70-300 since beyond 200mm, it's pretty poor (soft and too much CA) IMO. It just can't seem to resolve enough detail.

My four lens solution will likely be the

1) TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF)
    2) Minolta Minolta AF 50mm F/1.7
    3) TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO (some day)
    4) TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
    (some day)

And on reserve for special occasions:
    Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
    Perhaps the 18-250 (again, some day whenever I go on a good vacation).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Believe me when I say the 18-250 is very handy as a primary lens on your second camera body. If you decide to upgrade to whatever comes next, you will see how this comes into play.

And if you can find a home for that 70-300 ... all the better.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Believe me when I say the 18-250 is very handy as a primary lens on your second camera body. If you decide to upgrade to whatever comes next, you will see how this comes into play.

And if you can find a home for that 70-300 ... all the better.
    Yeah I can see how it's really handy on the spot when you want to zoom in (beyond 50mm) at that very second and don't have time to switch lenses. Since I don't have a second body, I don't have that luxury and thus I have to think carefully about where I go next.

In your opinion, how much more useful would the 42 flash be? I don't hear about you using a flash too often (besides studio work which I don't do). Maybe the flash is just something for later and I should get lenses first? I actually rarely do portraits.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Again I just have to say that for the price the Tamron 70-300 is a great lens, it is handy, pretty solid, and again consider the price and the IQ, not bad at all. For walking around in a thick crowd, or events where there is lots of dust and dirt and things in the air {concerts- cups, plastic bottles, beer,shoes,etc.} it is the lens to risk if you have it. I have thought about buying another one and setting it back in case Sony decides it's "to good" for the price and like other Tamron glass starts to "go away" any way just my input. Oh and those are some very cool zoo shots!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Again I just have to say that for the price the Tamron 70-300 is a great lens, it is handy, pretty solid, and again consider the price and the IQ, not bad at all. For walking around in a thick crowd, or events where there is lots of dust and dirt and things in the air {concerts- cups, plastic bottles, beer,shoes,etc.} it is the lens to risk if you have it. I have thought about buying another one and setting it back in case Sony decides it's "to good" for the price and like other Tamron glass starts to "go away" any way just my input. Oh and those are some very cool zoo shots!
    Thank you! Yeah, it's definitely a trooper and great for the money.
    flickr

Lightbulb Think ahead ... you are going to be at this for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    In your opinion, how much more useful would the 42 flash be? I don't hear about you using a flash too often (besides studio work which I don't do). Maybe the flash is just something for later and I should get lenses first? I actually rarely do portraits.
    Well, you have t know I'm using the flash units for the equipment shots you guys view in a lot of my postings. Flash has always been my enemy in photography. I suspect it is for a lot of people, but when the sun hits the deck for the night ... or you are trapped indoors ... you are kind of screwed. The flash has to come out.

Personally, since you are deciding on your FIRST flash ... I'd spend the extra cash for the HVL-F58AM, instead of the cheaper '42.

Name:  hvl-f58am-sidebounce.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  93.2 KB

You really need to practice with the big horse for a while, plus it will offer positional control that you just cannot get from the '42. I would willingly trade in my HVL-F56AM & my HVL-F36AM flashes for that one flash, it is so flexible and powerful.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-28-2008 at 06:27 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well, you have t know I'm using the flash units for the equipment shots you guys view in a lot of my postings. Flash has always been my enemy in photography. I suspect it is for a lot of people, but when the sun hits the deck for the night ... or you are trapped indoors ... you are kind of screwed. The flash has to come out.

Personally, since you are deciding on your FIRST flash ... I'd spend the extra cash for the HVL-F58AM, instead of the cheaper '42.

Name:  hvl-f58am-sidebounce.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  93.2 KB

You really need to practice with the big horse for a while, plus it will offer positional control that you just cannot get from the '42. I would willingly trade in my HVL-F56AM & my HVL-F36AM flashes for that one flash, it is so flexible and powerful.
    Yeah I knew you used the pop up flash for the test shots, but didn't know you used a hot shoe flash for it.

I'd love to get it. But, at $500..... I could get 2 and a half '42s ($200 new shipped) and play light the house all day. Guess I could always wait for flash price to go down in price. How long do they usually last? I know you picked up a 36 at a good price (~$100) a little while back. I know next to nothing about hot shoe flashes other than a few bounce tricks (but never done anything myself). I have a lot to learn particularly in this area. With the 56, it should cover a lot till you get a chance to upgrade though!
    flickr

I was at Best Buy AGAIN today, my ongoing saga of corrupt OS and data backup, but thats a whole other long story! So wandering around I checked out the Sony flat screens.....NICE!! and in the camera area, are you ready? one A300 with kit lens, yes one the display model, can get one in the box in about 3 - 5 days!! and 2 HVL-58AM's and that was it, nothing else Sony! man that is a chunk of change for the 58, to much for me right now, but it does seem to be THE ONE FLASH you will ever need.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    I was at Best Buy AGAIN today, my ongoing saga of corrupt OS and data backup, but thats a whole other long story! So wandering around I checked out the Sony flat screens.....NICE!! and in the camera area, are you ready? one A300 with kit lens, yes one the display model, can get one in the box in about 3 - 5 days!! and 2 HVL-58AM's and that was it, nothing else Sony! man that is a chunk of change for the 58, to much for me right now, but it does seem to be THE ONE FLASH you will ever need.
    Till the next gen, argh.... the wrath of technology sucks, all admit though it's a bit slower than chasing computer hardware.

Sounds like your hard drive is dying Sean, I'm not really sure if best buy is the best way to fix it .
    flickr

Well, to be honest, you really do need to understand exactly what the '58 brings to the party, otherwise ... it is unappreciated. It does what they now call "flash groups", which is a coordinated combination of future flash heads.

The '56 will work quite well as it stands ... and it is just as bright. The '58's rotating head is definitely an asset for a hot-shoe flash. Photographers usually have to mount their flashes on a flash bracket assembly with flash sync tether cord. This adds weight, awkwardness and a number other undesireable problems, especially if you use a vertical grip.

I could pictorially demonstrate these annoying add-on issues, but trust me on this ... you could stand to save a lot of accessory costs by just buying the NEW '58 flash. Where was it three years ago? Yeah ... in the "mind of Minolta."

Well, you can avoid the eventual expense by just laying out the extra cost and not bypassing this eventual growth, anyway. This is the flash. It works and offers the best results of ANY of them!

flickr & Sdi