Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Unhappy My case with lens cases

Having just bought the TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD MACRO, I have to tell you, the accompanying lens case is not going to win any awards for being very utilitarian or useful. In fact, I would go so far as to say it is a waste of usable box space ... or could even be considered as cheaper-than-shipping-peanuts, to be disposed of after removing from box.

I really am I trying, desperately, to make some sense of it. How, in Japan even, would they think this was a useful design? I could use a reasonable explanation, here.

Just look at it.

TAMRON 70-200 case . . . versus . . . LowePro LC4 Black
    Name:  lens-cases.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  187.4 KB

I have it standing against, what I feel, is a much more useful design in lens cases (LowePro LC4 case/black)($37). Why couldn't they simply ship it in something like that case? Even the SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD came with a better design.

TAMRON 200-500 case
    Name:  200500lenscase.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  111.1 KB

I know I would have popped for $750 ... for this LowePro case and the new lens inside! It would have saved me $10 in gas to go back and get one.

I suppose I can use this TAMRON case for the Gary Fong Whale Tail. I was looking for something to stuff it in, anyway, as it is rather oddball shaped. I'm certainly not putting a loose-fitting lens of such weight in a bag secured with draw ties!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-26-2008 at 03:55 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Maybe Tamron will wish they would have included a better case once word of this gets out
    Do they have stock in Lowepro?

Spook
    Canon EOS 50D,7D and some lens and equipment.
    Fuji F200 Exr

Well, LowePro is having these made in China ... so getting them should not be an issue, that's for sure.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Slinging lenses

After carefully evaluating the bigger sling-bag pack out, I wound up with this combo:

10-20mm f/4-5.6
    17-50mm f/2.8
    50mm f/1.4
    28-75mm f/2.8
    70-200mm f/2.8
    200-500mm f/5-6.3
    &
    HVL-F56AM flash

Not bad for a sling bag. LOL Oh, my aching back!

Name:  5769+LC4+LC1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  325.9 KB

This is kind of the threshold where backpack utility meets sling bag convenience. It's almost a fuzzy point of difference, except you can wear this thing on your belly and change lenses, without having to remove it! Other than that ... it weighs nearly the same. Holy Grunt, Batman!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-27-2008 at 10:40 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Agrees with Don

Upon opening my new box of goodies, I looked at this and wondered is this just for shipping?? WTF? And what does that wrapped foam strip do? protect what? It will be lost right away??
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Sweet, you lucky dog!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II