Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Unhappy My case with lens cases

Having just bought the TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD MACRO, I have to tell you, the accompanying lens case is not going to win any awards for being very utilitarian or useful. In fact, I would go so far as to say it is a waste of usable box space ... or could even be considered as cheaper-than-shipping-peanuts, to be disposed of after removing from box.

I really am I trying, desperately, to make some sense of it. How, in Japan even, would they think this was a useful design? I could use a reasonable explanation, here.

Just look at it.

TAMRON 70-200 case . . . versus . . . LowePro LC4 Black
    Name:  lens-cases.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  187.4 KB

I have it standing against, what I feel, is a much more useful design in lens cases (LowePro LC4 case/black)($37). Why couldn't they simply ship it in something like that case? Even the SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD came with a better design.

TAMRON 200-500 case
    Name:  200500lenscase.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  111.1 KB

I know I would have popped for $750 ... for this LowePro case and the new lens inside! It would have saved me $10 in gas to go back and get one.

I suppose I can use this TAMRON case for the Gary Fong Whale Tail. I was looking for something to stuff it in, anyway, as it is rather oddball shaped. I'm certainly not putting a loose-fitting lens of such weight in a bag secured with draw ties!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-26-2008 at 03:55 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi