Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

A700: Where's the histogram?

I'm the owner of a new A700, after having hit some limitations on the A300, as well as some things I just didn't like...

Am I right in assuming that the A700 has no live histogram to assist with exposure? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and the only reference the manual gives is to looking at one in playback mode (not helpful for shooting).

I've gotten quite used to the histogram from the H5, R1 and A300 and found it to be very useful as a backup to double check and make sure I haven't forgotten to set something up correctly (I like shooting in full manual 95% of the time). Lacking the live preview of the aforementioned cameras (which I own all of), it seems an even more important feature to have, not leave off.

Am I missing something here?

the a700 does not have live histograms becasue it does not have live view.
    besides which, live histograms are a complete gimick. first of all they are pretty useless in auo or semi auto modes cos the camera is setting your exposures anyway. so unless you shoot in full manual what good is it ?

by the time you check the live histogram while your shooting and adjust for it, you could have already taken the shot, quickly reviewed it, (and the histogram), and adjusted accordingly if necessary.

focus on getting your exposures right by learning what each setting does and how each item, (shutter speed, aperture, iso, metering type), can effect the overall exposure. live histogram is quite simply a marketing gimick with no real effective relevance in the field at all.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

A place where I can see that it's useful is in getting the camera to gauge the exposure on a certain object. For example a light animall on a dark background. If you hover over the darkness and you have it center weighted, you'll see the animal will be over exposed and the histogram would probably show that (granted you have live view of course).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

in that scenario you should be able to judge for yourself, (with a little experience), that you cant pull off the shot. you can also see the exposure meter showing under or over exposure in the VF.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr