Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HDR Attempt

HDR Attempt

So after all the recent discussion of HDR, I decided to give it a go myself. How are these and how can I improve. I love this guy on flickr's HDR images. How can I get mine this good?

3 exposures:

Name:  DSC07382.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  58.2 KB
    Name:  DSC07383.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  52.4 KB
    Name:  DSC07384.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  60.5 KB

Outcome tone mapped:

Name:  hdrattempt.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  87.9 KB
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Red face Shrug!

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    So after all the recent discussion of HDR, I decided to give it a go myself. How are these and how can I improve. I love this guy on flickr's HDR images. How can I get mine this good?
    Well, for goodness sake, don't ask me ... I'm not doing that kind of image alteration. I'm looking to simply improve the shot, not make it a painting.

Practice with what you have. I'm pretty certain this guy doesn't shoot stuff like that all of the time. But, then again, maybe he does!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

He seriously does! Look at his beautiful seascapes and sunsets! They're incredible!

He's got something new every day or every other day!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

What a hobby, eh?
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hang on to it Don, Hang on to it. Yep you're are right the white sky/black trees is more accurate than the blue sky and green trees.

Dragon, one of the problems here is that you chose a photo that is totally within the capabilities of your sensor. There really isn't any need here for an HDR conversion. Your middle exposure will pretty much look like the final product of an HDR.

Because I use Photomatix, I really don't know much about applying the custom tone curve as you do in PS. It looks to me in the final product you were trying to emulate Valpopando and did some burning and dodging in addition to the HDR. I do know that what you are trying to accomplish with the custom tone curve is to pare down the HDR to fit into what your screen can display, and expand the tonal range to include the extra information you added by taking the extra exposures. The best way to figure this out is to experiment with the tone curve and come up with what looks good to you. Experiment with very wide changes to see what it does to the output then tone it down to fit the scene.

I ran the three photos through Photomatix, but like I said the photo is a poor HDR candidate. You need a scene that would be a silhouette, or completely blown out if you didn't combine the exposures to encompass that range of light. This ended up with some strange artifacts using the small jpg's I copied off of the first post.

Last edited by TenD; 09-23-2008 at 08:37 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Here's another example, it's nothing special, it's pretty obvious that none of the three photos has much to stand on by itself. They are actually all the same photo, processed in LR for +2 and -2 and 0 EV. Put them together with HDR and it's at least passible.

-2 EV, notice how the foreground is pretty much unusable, but the color in the clouds and sky is preserved, the barn show up too.

+2 EV, notice how this picks up the foreground detail, and the barn is a definite light grey that suggests white. Details that are completely missed in the other examples but show up with the extreme over exposure.

0 EV, this could be an OK snap shot with the usual detail missing in the shadows and highlights. There is too much information in the scene for a camera's sensor to capture, so they are rendered black or white.

Finally the HDR using the parts of each exposure to fill in the holes above and below the middle exposure to give a single photo that encompasses a very large dynamic range.

I still think all HDR photography is very noticeable, and looks somewhat surreal. But I am seeing more and more often HDR that I have to look at twice to decide if it's a single exposure or HDR. People are getting better and better at the technique.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

@ 'dr4gon' ... I suggest doing a +/- 2 EV and a +/- 3EV series and just see what comes out. You might be surprised.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well, for goodness sake, don't ask me ... I'm not doing that kind of image alteration. I'm looking to simply improve the shot, not make it a painting.

Practice with what you have. I'm pretty certain this guy doesn't shoot stuff like that all of the time. But, then again, maybe he does!
    he does. valpo is quite incredible, one of the very best on flickr imo. i've noticed you have become quite negative lately Don. especially about things that either you, (or your equipment eg: video), can't do. not so long ago you could appreciate that sort of thing but now not so much. whats happened ? hve you become dienchanted with Sony ?

remember dragon that at least 80% of what makes valpos stuff so good is his composition and subject matter. te HDR effect he can produce is the icing on the cake but honestly, do you think the shots would be as good if it werent for what he's ACTUALLY photographing ?

i suspect that practice would make perfect. so practice away. i'm with you mate, just starting on this HDR learning curve...enjoy the ride. the journey is sometimes as exciting and rewarding as the destinaton.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    Here's another example, it's nothing special, it's pretty obvious that none of the three photos has much to stand on by itself. They are actually all the same photo, processed in LR for +2 and -2 and 0 EV. Put them together with HDR and it's at least passible.
    so are you saying that you did the HDR in LR or you processed the HDR in LR ? i'd like to see what the HDR should look like before you do the PP. cos mine all look crap.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Rooz ... you may have hit the nail on the head ... it is the video aspect of this whole DSLR effort. I really miss not having THAT aspect of photography in my camera. Kind like a person misses dandruff ... or jock itch. These are things you just want.

Look ... having a contrary opinion is not necessarily negative, Rooz. We do not have to see eye-to-eye on everything, otherwise ... we'd probably go blind ... or at the very least, get bored. There has been a pretty good attack going on since I divorced myself from Canon (and you know darn well I was right, all along). No one enjoys being told that their baby is ugly as hell and they should do something about it. But, truth be told ... Canon made their bed ... they had a chance to put IS in their camera body and absolutely insisted (on a corporate level) that they were not going to do it. Even their own engineers shook their respective heads about this rather muddled idea.

Well ... negative or not ... I saw that as pretty negative to the photographer using their product. Minolta ... had it right. SONY saw it and bought into it. We are where we are ... my camera is stable with every lens I mount ... well, you can fill in the rest of that statement for yourself.

Negative ... nah, let's keep it real.

flickr & Sdi