Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HDR Attempt

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    LR does indeed=Lightroom. You can practice HDR on any photo like the above using RAW files. The RAW(jpegs are used for display)file may render a part of the scene pure black or pure white, but the data is still there and processing in LR or PS a single RAW file for a +/- 2 EV is very possible. The above example is one such file.

If you have photomatix I would use it to generate the HDR file too. I think it's very simple with photomatix. When you get the HDR file merged it's just plain ugly, but if you cursor over parts of the image you'll see the detail thats in that part of the scene.

I'm off for Jellystone and Jackson for a long weekend. I hope there will be some fall color, the cottonwoods here on the other side of the mountain are changing pretty rapidly.
    Thanks, I need to mess around with photomatix, there's so many options!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    I wonder how many exposures valpo uses. Everything seems so still in his pictures. When I try multiple exposures the clouds and or trees move too much. I need to work faster .
    not sure if he still does this or not, but i recall reading on one of his earlier photos that he uses one RAW file and resaves out of that to create 3, (or more), RAW images. then combines them in photomatix and then CS3 for PP. that would explain why he gets no halo's or movement in his nature/ cloud/ water landscapes. or then again...he could just be a genius. lol

delobbo uses this technique very well over in the canon forums. herc182 uses multiple exposures. dont know how the hell he gets the images s perfect without the movmenet.

i tried a few more hdr's today. they all sucked. i am so crap at landscapes its not even funny.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Red face Struggle to resolve HDR (single exposure)

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    Oh and Don, BTW, your shot of the interior of the Chapel at AFA would make a great HDR candidate using a single file to process into different exposure levels.

I have worked with it a couple times ... and I cannot really get enough improvement on it for the effort. I know that sounds weird, but I have tried. It has its limits pretty much set. Here's the latest effort ... and it is not that much different from the original.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    not sure if he still does this or not, but i recall reading on one of his earlier photos that he uses one RAW file and resaves out of that to create 3, (or more), RAW images. then combines them in photomatix and then CS3 for PP. that would explain why he gets no halo's or movement in his nature/ cloud/ water landscapes. or then again...he could just be a genius. lol

delobbo uses this technique very well over in the canon forums. herc182 uses multiple exposures. dont know how the hell he gets the images s perfect without the movmenet.

i tried a few more hdr's today. they all sucked. i am so crap at landscapes its not even funny.
    lol I know the feeling! I looked up those two and wow, their work is stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I have worked with it a couple times ... and I cannot really get enough improvement on it for the effort. I know that sounds weird, but I have tried. It has its limits pretty much set. Here's the latest effort ... and it is not that much different from the original.
    I think it looks more vibrant than the original although some of the highlights in the glass on the top is a bit blown out, but easily fixed
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

@ dr4gon ... but, you see ... It didn't look like that, as I recall ... It looked like I originally shot it. LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-25-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    @ dr4gon ... but, you see ... I didn't look like that, as I reacall ... It looked like I originally shot it. LOL
    I just thought it looked like there was more light coming through the windows lol.
    flickr

Cool Side-by-side ... you decide

Just for argument's sake, here's that "original" exposure versus the "HDR":

Attachment 40313 Attachment 40311

"Welcome to the BRIGHT side, Luke."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-25-2008 at 12:09 PM.

flickr & Sdi

see! it's more vibrant and brighter!
    flickr

"Surreal" ... is more accurate. LOL

flickr & Sdi

Here's an HDR from this morning. Teton NP

A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.