Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canon S1 and a polarising lens..do they work?

I recently treated myself to a circular polarising Lens from Jessops. And after buying the adapting hood fitted it to my Canon S1 camera.

Apparently, one should be able to turn the lens and notice a difference. Well, maybe I`m doing something wrong, but it looks the same to me. I took some landscape shots today in the sunshine and turning the lens appears to make no difference. Indeed, there appeared no difference even with the lens off.

Any tips regarding polarising lenses, anyone got an S1 with one fitted?

Thanx,
    Tc

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tc7
    I recently treated myself to a circular polarising Lens from Jessops. And after buying the adapting hood fitted it to my Canon S1 camera.

Apparently, one should be able to turn the lens and notice a difference. Well, maybe I`m doing something wrong, but it looks the same to me. I took some landscape shots today in the sunshine and turning the lens appears to make no difference. Indeed, there appeared no difference even with the lens off.

Thanx,
    Tc
    A polarising lens? Do you mean a polarising filter? I'm familiar with Jessops and what they sell. If it was a Jessops' own brand then it probably wasn't a good buy. I've had a good look on Jessops' website and can't find reference to a filter for the S1 or a lens for the S1. What exactly did you buy? Have you a Jessops product code that we can look at on their website?

Personally, I would love to fit a polariser on all my cameras from time to time. Sadly, few all-in-ones have a filter thread.

It got a very good review in one of the dig cam mags.

Here is the filter in question -
    http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...WORD_SEARCH=N&

Tc

It got a very good review in one of the dig cam mags.

Here is the filter in question -
    http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...WORD_SEARCH=N&

Tc
    Does the filter actually have "circular polarizing filter" marked on the filter rim? They may have sent a UV/Haze filter by mistake.

Just a thought.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Yes it says that on the rimm.

Tc

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    If it's an overcast day, you won't notice a big difference.

Where you will notice it is in reduction of reflections.

And you'll be able to take photos with sunlight reflecting from the lens. The filter will cut down on reflections.

I'd also like to point out that it;s a Jessop's own brand filter so don't be too surprised to find that you have a soft-focus polarising filter. I tried Jessops own filters and they were trash!

also remember that if you are pointing at or away from the sun you won't see much or any difference. polarizers achieve maximum effect 90 degrees from the sun. there you should at least see a darkening of the sky while you turn the polarizer. if you are still not seeing any difference, try holding the shutter release button half way down and then adjusting the filter.

Circular or linear polarizer?

Thanx,
    Tc
    You can test it by using your sunglases (if polarized). Hold your filter between glasses and your eye. If you turn your polarizing filter you should see change in light intesity getting through.

My question about polarizing filters is this. Is there any picture difference while using linearly or circ. polarizing filter? I do understand the difference between these two. And since circ. polarizer is just linear pol. and quarter wave-plate, there should be small or no difference between these two. Unless, there is another polarizing element in the camera ...

Cheers,
    R.

From what I understood, circular polarizers work properly with autofocus cameras. I've had much luck with mine. Here are some links to some photos I shot using mine on my S1 IS.

In the first one, the circular polarizer REALLY brought out the blue in the shot. In the last two, the clouds were completely washed out without it.

Experiment with it and you'll come to like the way it works.

Some great pics there. Thanks for the reply.
    I have experimented a nd had some interesting reults.

My question is, do you see the same images (as above) through the viewfinder before you snap them ? I.e, Was the sky that blue through the viewfinder/lcd screen?

I really wanna know what it`s going to look like before I take the pic.

Tc