Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scared of buying a Canon A610

I have read a lot of reviews of the A610 on the web and i like almost everything i hear. But then one day i stumbled across the at that time unknown to me e18 error. After searching a lot of forums and web sites i found out that it is a common problem for a canon camera. From what i have read i understand that the error appears when the lens is jammed.I don't understand if the lens is really jammed(by sand or something) or it is some kind of a software bug. If it is really jammed then why is it so expensive to repair it or why can't everyone open the camera and clean it (as i saw an exaple on one german site). Anyway i got scared of buying the a610 because i live in europe and plan to order the camera from america (through a friend of mine that is coming back) and if it brokes soon i don't have a way to use the warranty. Also if the e18 is such a common error (the impression you get from reading posts at different forums and websites) the why are canon cameras top selling on every site i visit or it is not so common.
    Anyway what would you suggest, to buy or not to buy
    Thanks

The impression you get online of the frequency of the E18 error is probably inflated. I have many friends with several different models of Cannons and none has ever seen the error. I've been very rough with my SD300 for the past year and no errors.

While I think the problem does exists, I don't think the frequency is out of line with other cameras. It just has a convientent error label that draws attention. I'd feel comfortable buying that camera. Can't you by a European model?

-dave-

Thanks for the reply David and i must say that i agree with you, i just want to know what people think. The reason i don't buy the camera from europe is that stuff like that (electronics) are a lot cheaper in usa. For example in macedonia (former yugoslavia) where i come from canon a520 costs well over 300$ and it is around 170$ in usa, this is just an example,it is the same with all camera models ,and that is a big difference for me.

The fact of the matter is, Canons do not have a higher incidence of lens problems on a percentage basis than any other brand....it's just that because there is an error "number" assoiciated with it, it makes it easier to report and thus gets reported more in a consistant manner...and therefore the "problem" becomes magnified...

Not to mention the fact that a lot of people tend to have Canons .. I wouldn't stay away from it just because of "the dreaded e18 problem"...

I know I am not an expert but I think Canon just has a great reputation...

all across the board - every review site I see - I still think it's your best bet and I agree that I wouldn't let that small of a thing scare you away.

I hate to have to be that person, but until a few weeks ago I hadnt heard anything about the "e18" error either. I've had a canon powershot for just over two years, and have absolutly loved it, with no problems with it ever...not one. Then just like you've read about it, turned it one day to use it, and I was hit with the "e18", and that was pretty much it. My camera instantly became a paper weight. Now I'm not trying to swear people off from buying canon, like some posters I've read, but I have to say I'm certainly concerned, about canons response to this problem, which they are basically ignoring. I was bounced to three different operators, with the first two telling me they didnt have any documentation about the problem. The third instanly knew what I was referring to, and told me they would fix it, for 150$, but there is no guaranteee it wont happen again. I dont think the e18 reports are "inflated", its just that everyone thats having them desperately want an answer, that canon simply isnt providing, or at least are not acting like they are through their customer service. I'm sure most people havent had any issues, but its sort of hard to ignore that stories like mine are popping up everyday in the last few months. Both my father and I have been using canon products for over 18 years, and been avid supporters of canon, but with mine breaking a few weeks ago, I told my father about it, he hadnt had any problems with his, then two days ago, his goes down too. Unfortunatly now I need a new camera, and I am forced to look to another maunfacturer. With the frequency of this problem rising, its sort of impossible to ignore that this may be a sign of a rather large design flaw. Only getting two years out of a camera, (a canon none the less) is not acceptable.

Can you say what kind of canon cameras do you and your father have. Is it possible that canon fixed the problem because i searched the internet and haven't found the problem occuring to newer models like the a520,a610,a620.
    Has someone heard different?

Well i think i am becoming paranoid. I will sell my car and buy a 3000$ SLR in the end, the thing is my car isn't worth that. I also looked at the Sony DSC-W5 and then i stumbled across this site http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/sony...5-reviews.html. It seems that out of 30 comments here 5 or 6 people say their W5 broke after a couple of weeks. What is this? Are all brands shitty or these are rare cases?

If the lens for some reason breaks, Canon detects it and says e18. Other makes might not say anything, and you will then not find that on internet... Sometimes things just break. How often have you written on internet that something you own did NOT break? That is the thing... the people with a gripe write, the people who don't have a problem do not write. So you get a really distorted view. I have had 4 Canon cameras, 1 broke because i dropped it on its lens. I know 12 people with a Canon digital camera, 2 with a Sony, 1 with a Panasonic and all have not had any problems with them. So, just buy one and enjoy using it.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30