Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Ah, displeasure will be replaced by bliss, once you get your hands on your desire.

Again, there are forces at work that seem to manipulate the market in ways we can only fathom (because, no one is talking). I often wonder, if I had to do it all over, again, which direction would I travel?

Would I think that a $3000 Full Frame DSLR should have ... say, Movie Mode? Would I have become so dependent on "Live View" ... that I couldn't take an image without it? Nah, I think I would still be pretty happy using my SLR for exactly what I ORIGINALLY bought it for. Just taking great images ... with standard photography rules in place. Not worried about "upgrading" it to the throughly overcrammed technological crap that most things are becoming.

I have one of those "Tilt" cellphones, with the slide out hidden keyboard. For the past three days, I've been in the AT&T store, just trying to get it to work right without having to remove the battery every time I want to use it, because it has to HARD reset. What good is that, I cannot even get a reliable phone call, any more, because I don't know if it is working or not? But hey, it's got games, internet, texting and god knows what else?

That, to me, speaks volumes to where this is all going. Our equipment is so complex, it cannot even do the BASIC function it was designed for.

"RELIABITY? Why that is job # 37 on the list. Sorry, Man!"
    Sounds like you just got a bad new phone and should probably get it exchanged. Sorry to hear your troubles though. Every product does have its lemons.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Every test shot has been so impressive, with this new 70-200. Sharp, controlled. I have to recommend it as one of the best IQs that I've seen. Ranks right up their with the top drawer glass.

I admit, it's not "rocket-focus", but it gets there and delivers the goods. I'll be interested in seeing the results Sean gets from his, when it arrives, that's for sure. Hopefully, in time for his Thursday follies! LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-23-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I hope to shoot it up on Thursday with the new lens, but it may be pretty ugly, playing the number one team in the leauge, at there field, there senior night, oh and by the way in last 3 years we havent even scored a SINGLE goal against them! And then maybe a few shots at Friday night football, come on bring on the darkness!!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Well, in a continuing analysis, the I put the TAMRON up against images I took with my EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM ... and it is too close to call. These are just fabulous. Fortunately, the TAMRON is ~$1000 less! Once you have that focus, it's the nuts!
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

It's supposed to be right up there with the top lenses in optical quality, just like the 17-50. The slow / noisy / constantly missing AF that is reported on the net is what stops me

I dont have big problems with my 17-50, so I wonder what is wrong with the 70-200? I thought they'd be using the same motor. Maybe focus is just that much trickier at longer focal lengths.
    Last edited by Visual Reality; 09-24-2008 at 07:44 PM.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    Maybe focus is just that much trickier at longer focal lengths.
    More glass to move
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

It is a little tricky, some times. Depends on the modeling illumination, I have experienced.

I will work with it ... but still ... that seems a relatively small issue, when you can rapidly manually focus this lens right where you want it in the DMF mode. At f/2.8 and thirty yards, DOF almost takes care of the rest. I suppose it is just working with your equipment.

Believe me when I tell you, I have worked with a lot less, so I guess I'm not as sensitive to all this. The IQ is where I was basically concerned ... and this baby has it.

flickr & Sdi

With any luck at all the lens will show up this afternoon, won't have much time to play with it before trying to use it at soccer. Any quick tips on camera adjustments or settings for decreasing light stadium lighting and moving action? and as we are home the gorls will be in all white. Also got my super multi coated Hoya uv filter on the way.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

With that lens sheild, your chance for flair will be minimal, so the MC filter will not be crucial at all. This lens is already coated quite nicely.

I believe if you set the ISO-1600 ... you be good to go with a good choice of shutter speeds at f/2.8 aperture.. Let us know!

flickr & Sdi

Who sets their ISO anymore? Auto ISO is your friend
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod