Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question best camera for concerts

1st, thanks for this site...I am learning lots.
    I need an idiot proof camera for music concerts. I have a Kodak easy share 7-something that I've used for 3+ years. Happy with it but it is too bulky and doesn't have the image stabilization that newer ones have. I do great with shots I can take my time with but the hurried, if you don't click now you'll miss the best shot ones are baaaad! I don't aspire to be even an amateur photographer, I just want good memories to share on my computer. Also, I am not familiar with all terminology so please speak idiot English! Thanks!

your questionnaire:
    Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. under $300

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    as small as possible, would like to fit in a small purse

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? ?? I am an idiot! I will rarely print, mostly view on computer

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify) most zoom for my money

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10

Do you care for manual controls? No cuz I wouldn't know what to do with them

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? music concerts where I might be on front row or I might be 20 rows back plus general family shots

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? ususally not

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? some

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? no

Are there particular models you already have in mind? no

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) I think I need the image stabilization

Single question - can you use flash at said concerts? If no, then you're pretty well out of luck.

If yes, than the Pansonic TZ5 is the camera I'd recommend. 10x optical zoom, image stabilization, fully automatic controls, good lens. Should be well within your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    Pansonic TZ5
    A very good camera, but not suited for low-light photography (noise starts showing at ISO 200, ISO 400 quite noisy). And 10x zoom handheld photos may be blurred even if the camera has an image stabiliser...
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

Quote Originally Posted by S_p_i_d_e_r View Post
    A very good camera, but not suited for low-light photography (noise starts showing at ISO 200, ISO 400 quite noisy). And 10x zoom handheld photos may be blurred even if the camera has an image stabiliser...
    True, but if the OP can't use flash at the concerts, that pretty well rules out any compacts these days anyways. The TZ5 has a relatively powerful flash

True, but if the OP can't use flash at the concerts, that pretty well rules out any compacts these days anyways. The TZ5 has a relatively powerful flash
    Yes, relatively powerful, but it's 5.3 m (17.3 ft) at Auto ISO. Which means that camera will push ISO up to 800 and pictures will be very ugly and you will have to be very close to the stage.

I think that in this case it would be better to save up some more money and buy a budget DSLR.
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I went through a similar delima but I already have a nice DSLR...my problem is a lot of the concerts I go to won't allow a DSLR (some venues refer to them as "professional cameras" or "cameras with removable lenses"). In my case it came down to the Panasonic TZ5 or Canon Powershot S5. I went with the S5 for the fact that it had a few more bells & whistles. Both my wife and I used it and paired with the optical image stabilization and the flash (sometimes even no flash provided a better shot), we pulled out some amazing shots.

I think that in this case it would be better to save up some more money and buy a budget DSLR.
    Most concerts will NOT allow you to bring in dSLRs. The simple reason is that press passes cost a lot of money and they don't want people sneaking out professional pictures of bands to make money off of without buying said pass.

If you can get a press pass, that's awesome. If not, buying a dSLR to go to concerts is simply not going to work.

Most concerts will NOT allow you to bring in dSLRs.
    Do they allow to bring in bridge cameras like Fuji S-series? If yes, then maybe S6000fd/S6500fd or S9100/S9600 would be a good idea?
    Cheers,
    Jacek

Do they allow to bring in bridge cameras like Fuji S-series? If yes, then maybe S6000fd/S6500fd or S9100/S9600 would be a good idea?
    That would be my choice as well. It's older but still will do the best at low light when you are a distance from the stage.

If it looks like an SLR, more than likely it's not going in the door. The Fuji bridge cameras may not be SLRs, but they're the same size and have extremely similar looks.