Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDR Attempt By The Bay

Here we go again. I took the tripod and camera and went down to my favorite tree by the bay to attempt another HDR. This time I used 7 images. I will post a link to the images I used. The first one didn't come out good but I am posting it anyway. I am working on the next one.
    http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/n...y%20the%20Bay/

Frank

PS I forgot to take off auto focus.
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Where's 'TenD' when you need him? LOL
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Boy do I need him. What did I do wrong? Or should I say did I do anything right. Here is the next one. I think it is better but what do I know. LOL
    Frank

Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Hi Sparkie

Right here Don...

I just took a quick look at your source images and they don't have enough on the over-exposed side of the equation. Therefore your foreground is still very under-exposed, nearly a silhouette.

This is a difficult scene to expose properly, the backlighting will fool your meter into thinking the scene is much brighter than it actually is. In this kind of lighting, your base exposure will need exposure compensation to start with. Or you need to go quite a few stops to the + side and not near as many to the - side.

In Michael Reichmann's tutorial, he says to use many exposures, I don't fully agree with this, in my limited experience 3 exposures are usually enough to get started with and learn with, 5 will render excellent results.

Each of these exposures should use the same amount of EV. The additional exposures should be in equal increments of +1, or +2 EV. This helps the HDR program blend the exposures smoothly.

It also looks to me like you were hand holding these shots. But now reading the OP I see you used a tripod, was the wind blowing? If it was that woudl explain the tree branches. I don't know much about Sony, but I assume you can do RAW, and your software package includes a RAW editor. If it's windy take a single RAW exposure right down the middle. Then when you process the RAW file process three files, 0, +2 and -2 EV. Then use those for your blend.

A remote shutter release also goes a long way toward crisp shots, and in lieu of that, the timer will suffice as it give you a chance to get your hands away from the body.

A lot to digest.

I took some of the originals without the tree and generated an HDR with them, then tone mapped, I added some luminosity to help with the foreground.

If I were you I would start with just 3 exposures using a 0 EV, +2 EV, and -2 EV for the bracketed shots. Support your rig. Go through Don's steps, but at the end choose "local adaptation" and play with the tone curve to get the highlights, mid tones, and shadows to closer to what your eye saw.
    Last edited by TenD; 09-21-2008 at 05:42 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Thanks TenD your HDR looks good. I did use a tripod. I was trying to take the shots fast because the sun was setting fast. I should have taken off the AF and used MF. I also should have metered the foreground like you said. I forgot shooting into the sun messes with the meter. I learning a little at a time thanks to everybody here.
    Thanks again for the lesson
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    Thanks TenD your HDR looks good. I did use a tripod. I was trying to take the shots fast because the sun was setting fast. I should have taken off the AF and used MF. I also should have metered the foreground like you said. I forgot shooting into the sun messes with the meter. I learning a little at a time thanks to everybody here.
    Thanks again for the lesson
    Frank
    I don't know how your Sony handles auto exposure bracketing, or if it even has it. When I use the timer combined with AEB at the end of the timer the camera will shoot all three exposures rapid fire, as fast as the shutter speed and body limitations will allow.

If your camera doesn't have this function, then a remote release becomes a necessary piece of equipment. I won't take an early morning or late evening shot without one.

Scout your locations early, take some photos, see what works. Then go back with about an hour before sunset, set up check your settings, re check your settings, watch the light. Snap off some sets of 3 or 5 when things look good to you. Be totally ready when it comes time to trip the shutter. Great photos are rarely "grabs" usually a lot of planning, a lot of visits to a location, and deliberate actions get the shot.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

Here's a wack at the other set:

Ended up with some weird artifacts along the trunk of the tree.
    Ansel Adams

In both of those attempts the foreground is a little too bright, but basically it's an illustration of what can be accomplished. With more careful processing and some burning and dodging of the blended photo, quite a nice photo can be produced.
    Ansel Adams

Very nice job. I will keep trying. I need to focus on one thing at a time.
    Thanks again
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

I'll give you guys credit for trying ...
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi