Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thinking about going back to point and shoot!?!?

I have a 40D with a Canon 17-55 f2.8 and a 70-300 IS lens, i have been thinking about going back to point and shoot its not because i don't like my 40D in fact i love it..........Its because the places i go NEVER let me inside the building with it.

So i have a great setup that would work great in low light but, i never get to use it in events, concerts etc. The only time i get to use it is at home or a Zoo or on vacation but even on vacation there are places they don't allow the camera inside. Im starting to wonder if i should keep the camera or not because the things i bought it for im not allowed to use it that situation.

I would like to get a PowerShot SX10 IS or a G10 the high end point and shoot cameras, i have no doubt that they would let me in with one of these. I would like to have both a 40D and the SX10 IS but i may end up using the point and shoot more often simply because i go to places more often that wont let me use my 40D.

Anyone else experience this?

Well... I didn't sell my dSLRs & lenses, but I do have a P&S in addition to those. I didn't go the high end route though - if it was to replace my digital SLRs, then I would have.
    Ouch.

Don't replace....

....just add a PnS to your collection.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    What on earth kind of places won't let you in with a dSLR? Maybe you should go to other places.

Exclamation The Die is cast ,,,

I tell ya ... it's just camera discrimination. I saw it at the Olympics and we've simply have got to put a stop to it.

Education is our most potent and lethal weapon in this fight.

Tell all your friends and acquaintances ... to read DCRP forums and Jeff's Reviews!

We can turn the tide in this. We just need to spread the word!

(OK, where have you heard this kind of rhetoric, before?)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-21-2008 at 07:49 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    What on earth kind of places won't let you in with a dSLR? Maybe you should go to other places.
    Any music concert will not let you take it in BUT they will allow a P&S . We go to alot of them so it becomes a big deal. Also went to TN and went to see Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede show and guess what they wouldnt let me take it in.

memories i want to make via pictures im not allowed to because they will not let me in the building with it.

The majority of things i want to capture with my 40D i can't so thats why i am wondering it its worth it or not but like i said i love my 40D and don't want to part with it but i really can't afford to let the 40D sit on a shelf since the P&S would see the most use.

There are some damn good P&S cameras available now that would be more than enough if you don't shoot "action" - ie fast moving subjects. Higher ISO settings aren't nearly as good as with dSLRs, but they can more often than not be good enough for average print sizes (4x6, 5x7, even 8x10) and webbies. That means in low light you're generally ok as well.

You just have to keep your expectations to a realistic level.

Get a good P&S. Keep the 40D. See which you use most and if the P&S is the only thing you ever use & it's 100% satisfactory, sell the 40D & be happy.
    Ouch.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by David97 View Post
    Any music concert will not let you take it in BUT they will allow a P&S . We go to alot of them so it becomes a big deal. Also went to TN and went to see Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede show and guess what they wouldnt let me take it in.

memories i want to make via pictures im not allowed to because they will not let me in the building with it.

The majority of things i want to capture with my 40D i can't so thats why i am wondering it its worth it or not but like i said i love my 40D and don't want to part with it but i really can't afford to let the 40D sit on a shelf since the P&S would see the most use.
    Hmm... I'm glad I never bothered with the Dixie Stampede (in Pigeon Forge). My wife and I found ourselves in Pigeon Forge one year. We stayed one night only because we arrived late, cancelled the other two nights and went to Cherokee instead. Pigeon Forge is nasty.

Meanwhile, there are some decent P&S cameras but rather than buying one, I personally don't go to places that won't let my dSLR in. Just as I (and all other CWP holders) refuse to do business with businesses that ban concealed weapons.

yeh it sucks but for me its a good thing because getting the photo can sometimes lead to the death of your camera

I'm looking forward to the SX1 IS...just gotta see the noise..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Lightbulb Dress for the whether or not ... you can bring it

What's the world coming to when you can't pocket your "Desert Eagle" and DSLR going to your favorite venue?

Heck, they are shooting riot in the streets of Afghanistan ...

Name:  afghanistan_riot.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  15.4 KB

and you don't hear anyone complaining.

Wait a minute, now that I think about it ... all I heard was the gunfire!!!

Ah, no matter. You know what I mean!

I'll send ya a picture ... yeah, with my well-concealed DSLR!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-21-2008 at 10:59 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi