Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Need a compact P&S with a min. 5x zoom. Suggestions?

Hi all, my girlfriend is in the market for a compact point-and-shoot. I shoot with a DSLR, but we'll use this when going to parties and the like, so I want something that will produce a pretty good image.

Currently she has a Panasonic 4MP P&S which is giving some problems.

Anyhow, here is a better description.

Budget

Realistically AU$200-220, may be able to stretch up to $250.

Size

Compact. Needs to be thin, rectangular size needs to be as small as possible, but thickness takes preference.

Features

Megapixels - Minimum 4MP, preferably 6-8MP.

Optical Zoom - Greater than 3x.

Image Quality - Quite important, no one makes anything particularly bad any more, so other points like price, zoom and size take preference.

Manual Controls - Not important.

General Usage

Mostly portraits at parties, meaning low light indoor, or night outside shots. Good flash performance is important.

Big Prints - No, mostly web-based use, prints up to 8x12 at most.

For most other forms of photos, action, landscape etc. I'll be using the DSLR so this will be mostly portrait.

Miscellaneous

Brands - No one in-particular; Nikon, Sony, Panasonic.

Special Features - None really, we already have AA batteries and SD cards, so a camera that uses these would be a plus. Good high ISO would be handy also.

Models I've found -

I just had a quick look on the net tonight, and these are what I've found.

Nikon Coolpix P60

Canon Powershot A2000IS

Sony DSCW110S

Nikon Coolpix S550

The buyer's guide at the top of this page may help.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Nikon L16 is the most slim of the AA batt cameras, but the zoom is only 3X. Olympus FE-320 is super thin, Sony W110 is only a little thicker and sports optical viewfinder. Of course neither the Oly nor the Sony use AA batts nor a SD memory card. Most of the very thin SD card cameras with more than 3X zoom are over AU$220. No one camera tics all of your boxes.

Kelly Cook