Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Help...choosing a camera, lots of kid pictures

Hey! I'm in the market for a new camera after my Kodak D7590 5mp 10x zoom died after I dropped it last week. It was a great camera, and I loved the photos it took and the zoom was nice too. I have 4 kids, so mostly take shots of kids, candid indoors and I usually do a photo shoot a couple times a year outside with them. We take pictures at soccer games too. I've only had 2 cameras both Kodak. I'm overwhelmed at all the choices, and really like the Canon's but am afraid to purchase one over the E18 lens error thing I keep seeing pop up. Is this still an ongoing problem...I like the options of the elph series camera. So since I don't know how big of a risk it really is buying a canon, I've looked at the nikon p5000, olympus 1010, panasonic lz8, fuji finepix s700, those are probably my top ones in lieu of canon problems. As you can see, there are some differences between them and they style of camera. I don't have a lot to spend on a camera (I'd like to stay under 300), but need it to take good quality photos indoors and out and it would be nice if the start up time was on the faster side as well as shot to shot since the kids can be quick! Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate!! Thanks. Christina

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Under 300 if possible

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? Size doesn't matter, really

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

* What optical zoom will you need? I'm thinking 8-ish

* How important is “image quality” to you? definitely 10, I want to print them, mostly 4x6 size though

Do you care for manual controls? Nope

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Pictures of kids and family

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? No larger than 8x10

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Indoor, yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Once in awhile

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? No.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Hehe..I'm open, but see above too

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? No I don't need them, although I do have to say I've never tried the canon elphs, but think the color accent feature would be a lot of fun...although I don't really need any special features.
    Last edited by happygrl4; 09-20-2008 at 09:55 PM.

I had a couple Canons, none of which ever gave me that E18 error. In my view that issue has been overblown on a site or two. For shutter lag the Canon SD870 and SD1100 are quicker than most of the other Elph models. The Canon SX110 is a new model, no tests on it yet. But I expect it will be quick too. When in doubt buy from a store that makes returns easy.

Kelly Cook

Thanks for your opinion, I know several people who have had Canons, and no one has had an issue. Maybe I will revisit them, I really do like them. I'll check out the 2 you listed. Just out of curiousity, which Canon cameras have you had? I'm open to more than the elph series. Thanks again. Christina

Happygirl-

Based on your Kodak experience and your desire for some nice zoom capability, why not take a look at either of two Kodak cameras: the new Z-1012 and the somewhat older Z-712. Both have full IS and 12X optical zoom excellent cameras. I included the Z-712 because it is an excellent camera and because it could be easier on your budget, The Z-712 is now selling for under $(US) 200.00.

Here is a Z-1012 photo sample:

And here is a Z-712 photo sample taken by a friend of mine:

Sarah Joyce

My Canons were an A40, which is now prehistoric, and a S3 IS. Both were flawless in service, absolutely zero problems. Except both were too attractive to a burgler. I'm now getting along with a Fuji F45fd, also doing a good job (so far no commentary from burglers). Frankly (Ok, highly biased) Canon is the gold standard of compact cameras. Any Canon SD850 or SX110 that wants to hop into my gadget bag is welcome to do so.

Kelly