Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The toning curve was unaltered ... it was a step that I figured might be a little confusing. Perhaps, you will take time to demonstrate it. I can relax and watch. LOL
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Well it definitely has some more highlights, although the biggest change is the WB is corrected.

Oh, and BTW, there isn't any need to beef up the original files for the lake HDR. The dark one has plenty of blue sky and the light one brings out the trees plenty enough. The hardest part is going to be aligning the source images because it looks handheld and each photo is just a little different. The middle photo looks to be underexposed by about 2/3 of a stop too, might have to bring the EV up on that just a bit for the mid tones to be right.
    Last edited by TenD; 09-20-2008 at 09:34 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Cool Shop and compare ...

I find that screwing around with the tonal curve renders a whole different result. Almost a painting-look to it, rather than that sharp glossy glassy watery REAL look.

Compare ... Base Image (EV) to
    Name:  Franks Lake 1.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  134.4 KB

the no-tonal curve shift
    Name:  Redone-Lake_HDR2.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  159.8 KB

to the tonal curve shift
    Name:  Franks-Lake_HDR3.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  205.2 KB

Someone has to pay the piper, I guess.

I can just hear 'TenD', now ... "Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-20-2008 at 09:52 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    Well it definitely has some more highlights, although the biggest change is the WB is corrected.

Oh, and BTW, there isn't any need to beef up the original files for the lake HDR. The dark one has plenty of blue sky and the light one brings out the trees plenty enough. The hardest part is going to be aligning the source images because it looks handheld and each photo is just a little different. The middle photo looks to be underexposed by about 2/3 of a stop too, might have to bring the EV up on that just a bit for the mid tones to be right.
    Err, huh? Most of the HDR software packages floating around (and even a few of the free ones, like FDRtools, Picturenaut and Qtpfsgui) will auto-align images for you.

aligning images

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    Err, huh? Most of the HDR software packages floating around (and even a few of the free ones, like FDRtools, Picturenaut and Qtpfsgui) will auto-align images for you.
    I fully know that exists, Photomatix, PS, and the ones you mention all align source images. I didn't mean that it couldn't be done, but that the technique is inaccurate. It was going to be hard because there is only so much you can do to align images that aren't taken when on a support. You end up with blurry trees, multiple edges, etc. Don's image bears that out.

And YES Don that is more like it. You have now captured the tonal range of the scene as it was to the human eye. We have blue sky, and a well exposed foreground. You aren't going to let go though are you? You still feel the white sky is more accurate? I would like to go to your world, it must be quite interesting, light grey skies, black trees...Let's throw the white sky version and the blue sky version up for sale and see which one sells...

The water suffered and that is what I am talking about with the image alignment. The ripples moved during the exposures and was rendered a bit soft. The tree branches suffered some too. A windy day can wreak havoc with an HDR image. A single Raw processed for highlight and shadows would completely eliminate any movement.
    Last edited by TenD; 09-21-2008 at 05:36 AM.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

I just got to my machine and gave it a wack with Photomatix. Don's tone curve version is much better than anything I could come up with. Don's photoshop skills are far above mine.
    Ansel Adams

Cool The cost of of being "tone depth" (sorry)

Look, it is pretty obvious that the more you sculpt the tonal range ... the more ... flat ... the image becomes. The blacks and whites are precisely why you get sharp edges and more realistic, three-dimensional image. When we remove them ... well, you can see from the above images what happens.

The choice is the image maker's ... as an HDR is usually a collaboration of shots ... and obviously, has a few drawbacks, too.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-21-2008 at 07:56 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Tone depth LOL funny, but speaking of which, I have a few crappy photos from a cheap p&s taken at last weeks Motorhead show if any ones interested. Stone deaf forever!! when everything is louder then everything else, and yes the knobs do go to 11 lol. sorry for the interuption we now return to the HDR thread already in progress.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Not to start this whole lesson over but here I go again. I Just installed this program called Dymanic Photo HDR. It ahs a ton of options and you can align the images manually.
    Frank

Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter