Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    With Don's luck, it'll be a 6.1!

Angry What? Do I have to fix it myself?

Oh, for cryin' out loud ... they sent it back, claiming there was NO PROBLEM FOUND.

Man, this is tedious. What kind of technicians do they have working for them? I open the box and found the camera in "AUTO." Of course there is no problem found ... the damn thumbwheels are ineffective in AUTO. You need to use them in "MANUAL" to truly see this problem. I described what you had to do to get the symptom to show up, on the included, type written note ... practically begging them to call me if they could not reproduce the problem ... they obviously don't read very well ... because there is no call .. and the problem STILL remains, instantly repeating itself as soon as I turn it on.

Honestly folks, this is just shabby and a sad example of customer relations, believe me ... especially on the second time around. The first was bad, but somewhat excusable. But not when you send it on a second time, asking for a REDO!

If I were the manager of the repair team, I would charge the tech for the extra shipping ... and chastise them for NOT making the damn phone call, to discuss the problem that they apparently cannot find. As the customer ... I do not have time for all this. I did everything I could think of to help them locate the issue, even describing the very parts involved. Man ... this unacceptable.

I called them back, described the problem and the person on the other seemed interested. So did the person I spoke with the 1st time it went back, but here it is ... STILL in the same condition it was when it left. Not REDONE!

This time it goes back (third time) with the CF memory and a lens on it ... so these people can get it right. Many of the images on the card will be of the letter I sent the first time, second time and the third time ... plus a number sequence so they can see it JUMP when it hits the affected rear thumbwheel spot.

I'm telling you, it should not be that hard to duplicate ... but it seems it is! Sure bugs the hell out of me, because it is "duplicating" itself EVERY time I turn on the camera !
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-15-2009 at 12:36 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

That's ridiculous.... I can understand your frustration with them!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Yeah, it's a real bummer what passes for service these days.

I am increasingly scared of what I will get if I can't go in and talk to someone in person, which is rarely a possibility.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

I called my local SONY Rep (actually works for SONY) and he said I should probably abort sending it to Precision Camera and send it directly to Laredo, TX for repair. The third time puts it into a "Lemon Law" category and they have to replace the camera with a new one.

He and I discussed the fact that the shutter is guaranteed for 100,000 operations, but the controls should last the life of the camera. Having them fail at only 10,000 is rather odd.

Hey ... maybe that's precisely what "Precision" is hoping to do ... they do not want to have to open up the A700 for this kind of surgery ... and hope to simply replace it with a replacement camera. Gawd ... that's deplorable, huh? But, it would make some sense.

See the way your mind thinks, when you get skunked? Geez Louise.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-15-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Ask if you can upgrade it instead.

Watch they don't give you a refurbished one. That is what Verizon does with there phones.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Yeah, I know. I don't want Sean's cast-offs ... J/K

Yeah, can you imagine having to deal with a 50k shot camera? That would really tick me off. Let's see what happens ... it's still winter ... I've got some time. I'll send it back to Precision Camera ... with my last attempt at this ... then, we go straight to SONY. I have all the paperwork ... so, I am as prepared as I can be.

I mean, I can understand the apparent reluctance to crack one of these bad boys open. There is a lot of crap inside one of them. If you are dubious, I suggest you take a good long look at the service manual. All I can say is ... I'm glad I do not have to do it.

EDIT: I have included Peek's favorite lens, this time .. yes, the Minolta AF 35-70mm f/4 MACRO (just in case the α700 doesn't make it, I haven't lost anything I'LL MISS! ) and ... loaded on to a 64MB CF card, a series of pictures (big numbers 1->30) that can be clearly seen on the LCD ... so when they start a jumpin' ... you can't miss 'em. If I had a video camera ... I'd demonstrate that ... but, if don't have the $3000 for an α900 ... where am I suppose to get $1799 for the HVR-HD1000U (<- Click on this). LOL

Plus I'm taping a huge stop sign on the rear LCD ... stating "STOP! Technician, simply turn on the camera, press "playback" button and press your thumb against the rear thumbwheel." I promise to pack it at the very point it screws up at. Life is so good!

Name:  moron-control.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  452.6 KB

"Moron Control"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-15-2009 at 08:12 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don this would annoy the hell out of me, I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for you!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

LOL. Watch the tech feel humiliated and just accidentally smash your camera into a million pieces and have no record of having worked on it!

If that doesn't get their attention, then sheesh. I don't know what will.

You're having to pay for shipping each time to them aren't you?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II