Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    This is one of the things with built-in batteries. If they fail or are out of charge when you need them, you're stuffed. I like things with removable batteries. It's one of the several reasons why I don't use my PDA for anything serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    thanks for the review adam. so many people have been eagerly awaiting these, good to see someone testing em out. can you post a photo with a reciever mounted to a flash pls.
    rooz you can actually see it pretty good in this picture.
    http://adammedders.smugmug.com/galle...085_iHLTJ-O-LB

it's not actually mounted, just hanging by the wire that plugs into it.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Cool review. I was doing some off camera flash stuff the other day and the IR was pissing me off like crazy and my flashes were like 4 feet away! feck.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

by the time those batteries stop recharging there'll be something better and cheaper out there....so i wouldn't factor that in to your decision at all. the non replaceable battery didn't bother me at all, i ALMOST bought the skyports because of the workgroup/fire all option, but decided that the $30 i saved per receiver was worth not having that option. plus by the time you buy a skyport transmitter and two receivers you could have spent $20 less and bought a cybersync transmitter and THREE receivers!

another reason i didn't buy skyports is they(and they might have fixed it by now) won't fire the new vivitar 285hv(that i own) without a specially made cord with a capacitor in it...something to do with sync voltage or something like that.
    http://flashzebra.com/wizardcables/0071.shtml

one thing i did like about the skyports is it sits horizontally on the hotshoe instead of vertically..and they're tiny.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    Cool review. I was doing some off camera flash stuff the other day and the IR was pissing me off like crazy and my flashes were like 4 feet away! feck.
    well....the cactus v2s's are worth what you spend on them. they're unreliable but better than taking the IR route.

radiopoppers were supposed to release a "radiopopper jr" this summer but missed that mark. i've heard they'll be around $25 per receiver but we'll see.
    http://radiopopper.com/products/view/radiopopper_jr

posted september 10th
    "Okay all - we’re almost there. We’ve held up the Jr. release for a few weeks to complete the finishing touches on the P8. We wanted to make sure the two units would be compatible with each other. They’re going into production together and will be released about the same time.

Stay tuned for the big reveal. We’ve been quiet for a couple months as we’ve been busy working up the new units. We’re excited to share what we’ve come up with. Expect the big news in the next couple weeks."
    Last edited by adam75south; 09-22-2008 at 07:15 AM.
    website

Thanksf or the review! I use Pocket Wizards and love them. But, for 25% of the cost, these seem like a great deal. I could technically buy a whole set of these instead of replacing a single Pocket Wizard if I had to...Hmmm...

I also have a cousin looking to get a wireless setup and he's looking at Pocket Wizard, simply because he saw me using mine. But, would be a great suggestion for him, considering he's looking to save money.
    ------------------------------------------
    Kodak Disposable | 30mm f9.5 | Built in Flash

Quote Originally Posted by adam75south View Post
    radiopoppers were supposed to release a "radiopopper jr" this summer but missed that mark. i've heard they'll be around $25 per receiver but we'll see.
    I'm sceptical. I can point to the $100 laptop as an example of what will probably happen.

i'm not gonna knock on the pw's. yes i do believe they're overpriced. yes i do think they need to come out with a entry level model. but they're the best for good reason. up until recently they haven't had a reason to lower their prices or market to the less fortunate. hopefully with the new crop of cheaper radio triggers they will be forced to compete.

i have a good friend who i shoot with all the time who's probably selling his 3 pw's so that he can buy a full set of cybersyncs and fire every flash he has. right now he's firing 2 580's on master and using IR to fire the 3rd flash. up until about a week ago, he was only triggering one 580 on master and using it to fire the other 2 580s. needless to say, in the texas sun, it got crazy frustrating for him to get the IR working within even 10ft of the master flash.

meanwhile there i was with my 580ex, cheap 285hv, and used sb-26 firing off just as reliable, if not MORE reliable with the cactus triggers. i will say the cactus triggers did work most of the time, i'd say 85% or so. my main problems was the unreliable sync speed(had to shoot at 1/125s most of the time to be safe) and the finicky hot shoe. a lot of the time they'd all just stop working from the camera(although the test button would)....i had to take out all batteries, turn off all flashes, camera, and then turn everything back on and it'd start working again. but they're cheap...and they work well when they work.
    website

My problem with the Ebay crap was that it just plain didn't work.

Thanks Adam. I wonder how well these sync at 1/500th...

My cousin uses a D40 and I keep telling him the 1/500th setting can be quite useful (certainly wish I had it this weekend) and that his camera is way better than my D300 because of it!
    ------------------------------------------
    Kodak Disposable | 30mm f9.5 | Built in Flash