Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Adam: Great review. At the price, they seem to be better value than the ebay triggers which don't cost much less.

CDI: What on Earth? Do you mean that once the battery in your Elinchrome receivers die you need to buy new receivers?

I might become quite tempted to get these!

Quote Originally Posted by adam75south View Post
    I haven't checked out microsyncs I don't know anything about them.
    Well, they look cool, are compact, don't cost as much as PW, but am pretty sure they aren't TTL.

I'm struggling with the whole "metering" thing. I have a Sekonic..but really have no idea how to use the thing!

In exchange for me doing your "retro" Senoir Pix, you can teach me hot to use it. (after all, we wouldn't want to over expose the "turtle")
    UPS drivers should wear red and white like Santa!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    CDI: What on Earth? Do you mean that once the battery in your Elinchrome receivers die you need to buy new receivers?
    I hope not. Pretty sure it can be replaced by Elinchrom...or if you want I'm sure you could pop the case open, replace the battery, then tape or glue it back together. It just doesn't have a nice easy-open case.

It has a rechargeable battery in it, by the way, and Elinchrom includes an AC Adapter/Charger. It's not a one-time-use battery. It's just not easily replaceable after it dies in that it doesn't hold a charge.

Since they use practically no juice to begin with (and therefore don't need to be charged constantly), I'm not overly concerned. I'll probably have either moved on, died a violent death, or become rich off seminars with no time left to shoot by the time these things are shot.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    that makes sense...i always thought they were significantly cheaper for some reason.
    these alienbees are compatible with TTL though right ?
    I don't think so.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

These alienbees, microsync, and all the other radio based transmitters are non-TTL. The radiopopper P1 and P8 are the only things on the market that do TTL. I was going to place an order for these cybersyncs until I found out how much shipping cost. 1 transmitter and 3 receivers plus international surcharge and shipping cost about $30 less than 1 skyport transmitter and 2 receivers. Plus the problem of shipping back if it stuffs up. I've got 2 SB-26 flashes so can just optical slave the flashes that don't have receivers. I can buy the skyport locally, this was one of the main things that changed my mind off cybersyncs, otherwise I'd buy them.
    Nikon D700 | SB600 | SB-80DX | 2xSB-26 | 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 | 24-85 f/3.5-4.5G | 50 f/1.4 G | 105 f/2.8 VR | 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR

flickr

he's right. No ttl on anything but radiopoppers.

The way they work is they take the infrared signal from your 580 or whatever the master flash is and converts it to radio signal. Then once it gets to the receiver it converts the radio signal back to IR. The main problem I have with this setup is you have to buy all expensive ttl flashes and $180 receivers.

With the cybersyncs(or skyports) you can fire off pretty much anything. $90 vivitar 285hv's in particular. Of course with any of these you still need either hot shoe adapter or cables. That's why the sb-26 has become my favorite flash lately. Paid $110 for it. It has a built in optical slave and a pc port so the cables that came with the cybersyncs work.

A good place to find what cables you need or hot shoe adapters is www.flashzebra.com
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I went for an all Canon system. It has some drawbacks BUT if I were in the market for a radio system, this sounds like the one!

ok so I had my first real shoot with it today. Shot at 1/250s the whole time and they fired and synced 100% at around 150 shots or so. Receiver also passed the drop test today. Dropped it about 3ft to concrete no problems.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by adam75south View Post
    ok so I had my first real shoot with it today. Shot at 1/250s the whole time and they fired and synced 100% at around 150 shots or so. Receiver also passed the drop test today. Dropped it about 3ft to concrete no problems.
    Good report.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    I hope not. Pretty sure it can be replaced by Elinchrom...or if you want I'm sure you could pop the case open, replace the battery, then tape or glue it back together. It just doesn't have a nice easy-open case.

It has a rechargeable battery in it, by the way, and Elinchrom includes an AC Adapter/Charger. It's not a one-time-use battery. It's just not easily replaceable after it dies in that it doesn't hold a charge.

Since they use practically no juice to begin with (and therefore don't need to be charged constantly), I'm not overly concerned. I'll probably have either moved on, died a violent death, or become rich off seminars with no time left to shoot by the time these things are shot.
    I couldn't find it, but I think I saw over at POTN a while ago had some pics of the reciever opened up showing the battery and in the same thread it was mentioned the battery might be one that was used in a wireless telephone handset......so if you're handy with a soldering iron when the time comes that might be an option.
    Mark........