Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RAW Conversion problem...

Hey guys, went to the Renaissance Festival today and shot entirely in RAW no JPEG. It's my first time shooting in RAW and editing the photos and I got the photos looking the way i want on the screen, and they look GREAT in Photo Professional, then i click Convert and Save- it converts it... then i tried to open them in GIMP and various other programs and the JPGS all look really pixilated.

They're mostly ISO 400 shots so there is very little noise to speak of, I thought maybe i ovver sharpened, so i tried re-converting with NO sharpening and it didn't change. Then I noticed i can select the DPI of the conversion and that it starts at 350, thinking this may be the problem, i lowered it to 200 and no change in the final JPG, then i lowered it to 72 DPI and still no change. I've tried various levels of Chroma and Lumi NR before the conversion and still no change..

The only thing i haven't tried is uploading a JPG to Flickr to see if it looks any better there.

Any thoughts? I've never edited RAW before so I hope i'm just making a simple, stupid mistak...

~Cory

btw, the 70-200 F4 IS i rented did AWESOME. I am so in love with this lens. the 24-70 F2.8L, not so much.
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

Shoot me one of your problematic images via email and I'll see what it looks like on my machine. I've PMed you my addy.
    Ouch.

Oh and post a screen shot of your conversion window. Maybe something's whack there.
    Ouch.

I can't open the RAW in Photoshop since I only have PS7, but the JPEG & RAWs both look good in DPP, IrfanView, and FastStone Image Viewer. The JPEG also looks good in PS7. I'm not seeing ANY pixellation.
    Ouch.

K thanks.. must be my screen res. or something.

Do the high res look fine to you? If so, I bet it's flickr's downsize algorithm at fault.
    Ouch.

All the RAWs look great to me- it's when I convert them to JPEG and try to open them in other programs to edit the JPEGS (you know, borders, layers and stuff like that) GIMP is the best photo editing software i have outside what comes from Canon- and when i open the converted JPEGS in GIMP they look HORRIBLE. But once they're uploaded to Flickr they look better.

which means, i guess it really isn't a problem until i decide to print and hope for the best.. it would just be nice to be ab le to do some further editing in GIMP and have an accurate representation of what i'm editing...

Sounds like maybe it's a GIMP glitch/fault/issue. Are you viewing the images at 100% in GIMP, or are you viewing them at smaller zoom settings for editing? I'll fit an image to the window in PS so I can do global work but if I don't use it at certain increments it looks choppy. Examples are 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% - they all look good. But 33%, 66%, and others are choppy.
    Ouch.

I'm using the Fit in Wondow initially and looking at other views.. i will try to redownload GIMP.

Try to stick with 25%, 50%, etc. Fit in Window doesn't always give you a good resample. Or at least it doesn't for me in PS.
    Ouch.