Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by S_p_i_d_e_r View Post
    I bet both of these camcorders can shoot stills
    and guess what?.... movie camera stills are pretty crappy.... anyway.

If nothing else, I hope Sony pulls another a300 and drops the price to ~$200 less than the Canon to attract new buyers.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Lightbulb Here's a thought ...

I can just see it now ... "Coming to a camera retailer, not necessarily near you!"

Name:  price-wars.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  36.0 KB

"Join in! It is the ONLY way ..."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-18-2008 at 11:08 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Look, I do not want people to think that I have no experience with managing a camcorder and a DSLR system, together. I specifically built a rig to do this 24 years ago, using a Minolta XGA (35mm-film SLR) and a General Electric VCR (VHS) portable recording system. My own brother will attest to the problems it created, but admittedly, they were still two separate systems trying to effective film and frame the same subject.

Oh, I'm sure it looked a lot more interesting than the results proved to be, but hey progress. It has taken technology 24 years to finally MERGE the two into one device. I still don't have a lot of hope for it ... and really do love the separation of "church and state", when it comes to a DSLR and a Movie camera.

In a way, it is a brave move ... but still, a niche market and memory management nightmare.

That's just my opinion on it.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

/rant

I'm still actually with Don on this one. Everyone discounts the arguement that the 5D MkII should shoot 5 or 6FPS by saying "Portrait and landscape photographers don't need to shoot that fast because their subject is sitting still" And guess what? They are right, which is why MOVIE mode makes no sense whatsoever.. How many landscapes get up and startt running around playing fetch?

Everyone is oohing and awwing over yes a great camera in it's own right, but a lacking camera. The inclusion of video changes the target audience of the camera- this video feature would still be more appreciated in an XSi or 50D type camera, it has very little place on a full frame camera for portrait photogs.

We will never know if the inclusion of video prevented Canon from at least making all 9 AF points cross type- something they did with a lower end camera but can't do with a 3K full frame cam? And we'll never know if video prevented them from adding more useable AF points, and we'll never know if video prevented them from making a 15mp setting that *CAN* record 6.3FPS if the photog so desires to do so- but the point still stands all these features are highly useable to anyone who buys the camera- video just isn't. And while it may be a mandatory gimick later on (that helps pull more people into buying DSLR's and drives down the cost for us), it's still just a pointless gimick now.

As much as I hate to see Video included in SLRs, Nikon really got it right in regards to which body they introduced the feature into. people buying prosumer cameras have more interest and more need/want/desire for video than do people who buy $3,000 full frame cams, as evidenced by all the stink being rasied by people who were waiting for the MkII.

/rant.
    Last edited by downtrodden; 09-19-2008 at 02:20 PM.
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

PS: And sony will earn my respect if they leave the video out of FF SLR's as long as possible and focus development on other aspects of the camera. This would indeed earn my respect- and the resultant product *could* earn my money.

Well, the opinion is ... from a reasonably good source, that SONY will include Live View and the Movie Mode in the next rendition of the APS-C high-end DSLR ... the A800, not the FF. Yes, apparently someone had the "schmaltz" to figure out that it is NOT the place to have this rather obvious ... gimmick! It is a market-chasing device. Personally, I'm not chasing it.

flickr & Sdi

Personally, I see the movie mode as a plus and yes it would be preferred along with live view on a full frame (my next likely camera way down the road, but so much can change of course.....). Movie mode is cool because it's high def videos and it's convenient. As for LV, I find it very handy in composing over the head or low shots. I've tried doing that type of shot without LV, and I'm pointing the camera at something totally random and not at the subject I'm aiming for.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Yes, apparently someone had the "schmaltz" to figure out that it is NOT the place to have this rather obvious ... gimmick! It is a market-chasing device. Personally, I'm not chasing it.
    In two years it will be on every DSLR and no one will question it. You're fighting a losing battle; but have fun with that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    In two years it will be on every DSLR and no one will question it. You're fighting a losing battle; but have fun with that.
    I completely agree, and my complaint isn't that Video is coming into SLR's it's that Canon is starting in the wrong place and at the degredation of advancing other features in a PRO camera marketed toward Portrait Photogs and Landscape photogs. But i know no amount of me ranting will make things better, Only spending my monies elsewhere will remedy my Canon conundrum.

Btw, I love live view- it's what pulled me into buying an SLR, BUT.. only because my blind eyes can't see through a viewfinder and I look forward to one day owning a FF camera with sharp, AF video... but that also has SUPERB autofocus and and a decent frame rate *INCASE I NEED IT*

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Yes, apparently someone had the "schmaltz" to figure out that it is NOT the place to have this rather obvious ... gimmick!
    Uhh, Don? Schmaltz means "chicken fat." Thought you might like to know.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store