Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Remember guys, these are just computers with a lens. You can use the email feature if you want, or just ignor it and take some great photos.
    Do these come with a delete feature to get rid of what you don't want?
    I know the price of this new wave in digital photography turns away many, but the dust will settle and we'll enjoy every minute of it.
    Spook
    Last edited by Spookonthe8ball; 09-18-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    Canon EOS 50D,7D and some lens and equipment.
    Fuji F200 Exr

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Look ... here is where the movie camera should stay ... not in my DSLR body. Thank you.

SONY HDR-CX12

Canon HV20

I'm telling you, I DO NOT need a junk-filled camera body. K-I-S-S! End of story!
    The ultra-sleek, palm-sized HDR-CX12 Handycam® camcorder is the world's first camcorder with Face Detection and Smile Shutter™ technology. Face Detection automatically adjusts focus, exposure and color for the most natural results. With Smile Shutter, the HDR-CX12 can detect smiles and automatically capture still images, even while recording 1920 x 1080 Full HD video. You will also enjoy 10.2 megapixel still image recording to ensure your memories are preserved in stunning detail.

Geez, they've put a still camera inside a camcorder! What a junk! I want a camcorder only for movies, not for stills!

Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

Laugh as you might ... these distractions make all DSLR users losers.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I'm not laughing, I'm just trying you to see my point.

* Almost all camcorders have still photography option
    * All (correct me if not) P&S digital cameras have movie option
    * Now 2 newest DSLRs from 2 major companies have movie option too

Chances are that new DSLRs from other manufacturers will have movie option are like 95-100%... And it may look like a gimmick now, but it will be a standard feature sooner or later. And as it goes with every other feature - you don't want it, you don't use it.

And I bet $$$ against coconuts that next Sony alpha DSLR will have movie mode.
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

I'm not laughing Don. I'm just trying to see this for what it is. Look back when RAW first came out. It is a good feature, but not necessary for prime photos However, for some of us that choose to use that feature, it has been a good ride and we like it.
    You seem worried that a plain Jane DSLR with the best of features like high ISO and dynamic range are gone forever. I see it as a bonus because a camera has to have all of these features to meet HD video requirements. We as the consumer will pass or fail these new camvideoDSLR's.
    We photographers may just become a niche, or then again we may benefit greatly of a low priced camera only format.
    Spook
    Fuji F200 Exr

Well, I do believe my point has be made, with this thread ... and only time will tell, because SONY is not saying a word. Nikon and Canon are playing off one another, so their future market share will also reveal "the welcome" this unneeded addition will receive in the DSLR market.

I know I certainly didn't miss it. -heh-
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-18-2008 at 08:16 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

On the professional end, I saw a utube video of some National Geographic type photographers that were elated that a camera of HD video/still shooter was available.
    I'm still waiting for some real life 6400 iso pics. The ones out there are really promising, but I'd like to see many from guys like you and others on DCRP.
    Isn't that enough to get excited over?
    Spook
    Fuji F200 Exr

Well, tossing $3000 at a camera with unwanted features causes me some consternation. I know I could get a couple really nice pieces of glass for that kind of money and piggy-back to my already adequate DSLR (non-movie camera).

All people have asked for out of the EOS 5D MkII, as I recall, was a decent noise level and a heavy-density Full Frame Sensor. They didn't care about LiveView or Movie-making. Just something that offered a great shot and ... didn't ruin their lives paying for it. Check with POTN for further specifics. This is a let down for so many other reasons. Don't worry, this wouldn't bring me back.

flickr® & Sdi

Don you're being stubborn

I know I'll greatly benefit from a dSLR with movie mode, makes my life a lot easier instead of carrying two cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Cool and ALL that finger-pointing ...

Be a lot easier if I had a camera built into my finger, too ... then, I could just "point & shoot!"

Name:  Finger-camera.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  122.1 KB

I'm telling you ... I bought my DSLR to use it precisely that way. Movie mode is effectively useless to me. I had it in the S3 IS & the S5 IS and NEVER used it. Personally, I do not need the distraction of having to choose. I'll let my brother make a movie if he wants to ... using a camcorder or a pro-level movie camera. Not something making a hybrid mess in my DSLR. Next thing you know, we'll have to make room for .wav or .snd files on our stills. What a waste of a memory card.

I ask you, just how long do you think it will take to download a 32 GB CF or SD card ... packed with MOVIES and 20MB-each RAW files? I suppose if they segregated the storage across two separate Memory devices, you could manage. But still ... ooh, I feel that stubborn streak coming on. LOL

And BTW, 'Turn' ... just where are you coming up with the $4000 to make this "budding quasi-movie/FF system" a reality? The Nikon D90 starts a $1000, you have no lenses for it ... the EOS 5DMkII ... yeah, $2699! Then add the grip, the decent flash (580 EX II) ... and of course, a couple decent lenses ... $$$ (can't you just hear ABBA singing "Money, Money, Money ..." ?) Did a 'Money Tree' get planted in the front yard?

Can't you just see people walking into a store, asking for a camcorder ... and the sales dude says, "Hey ... you're going to want to take really high quality stills with that, aren't ya? Here, Canon just came up with this new DSLR ... and it even does HD!"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-18-2008 at 09:44 PM.

flickr® & Sdi