Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Buying my first DSLR Canon XSI

I want to buy the Canon XSI off of ebay. They are offering numerous packages with different lenses. My question is which lens is better the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus Lens or the Tamron 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD Zoom Telephoto Macro Autofocus Lens??

There are packages with Canon lenses, Tamron lenses and Sigma lenses, I'm just not so sure which one is best.

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to buy a package from eBay. Usually the lenses and accessories included with those packages aren't of the best quality. The lens focal lengths you mention are quite long and you'll have to stand quite far back to get all you want into the frame, unless you are shooting sports or wildlife.

My suggestion? purchase from one of the big e-tailers such as B&H, BuyDig, Adorama, or Beach Camera. Those sites I mentioned are very reputable, they aren't perfect, but they won't usually make a big upsale pitch and their prices are usually very good.

I would get the Xsi kit with the 18-55 IS lens, then maybe add the 55-250 IS lens to that. That will be a good kit with a good range of focal lengths. B&H price: $689 for the Xsi kit with the 18-55 lens and $279 for the 55-250.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

The XSi is also my first dslr and I'm very happy with it, took about 5000 photos within the first month. Personally, with any big purchases, I stay away from eBay due to the hassle of returning or exchanging when something is wrong.

Got my XSi with the 18-55 kit from BuyDig and the 24-70 2.8L and 580EX II from B&H.
    Canon XSi/450D, Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L, Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS, 580EX II

yah I have the XSi with kit lens and I'm a happy chap
    you can look at my photos to see how the kit lens performs
    Last edited by Turn; 09-18-2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will