Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Some A700 ver-4 update results

Hi guys!

If you were not aware, SONY released (kind of accidentally) the new upcoming version 4 bios for the A700.

It added a +/-2 EV to the bracketing function, making HDR images a heck of a lot easier to produce. So ... in my constant need for review ... I tried it out ... at the Chicago Botanical Gardens, today. This first image is only an hour old. I will populate this thread with some of the results I have gotten from roughly four lenses:

1) Sony 50mm f/1.4
    2) TAMRON 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 Di
    3) TAMRON 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 Di-II
    4) Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6

Here is the first one I done, using that feature. Now, I am only going to provide the base exposure and then the resultant HDR for the over and under.

Here we go ...

Floral E (Base EV) Tokina 80-400
    Name:  Floral-E-(base).jpg
Views: 305
Size:  277.3 KB

Floral E_HDR (Photoshop CS3)
    Name:  Floral-E_HDR2.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  185.6 KB

Floral F (Base EV) Tokina 80-400
    Name:  Floral-F_base-exp.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  237.2 KB

Floral F HDR (Photoshop CS3)
    Name:  Floral-F_HDR2.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  215.2 KB

Waterfall 1 (Base EV) Tokina 80-400
    Name:  Waterfall-1.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  483.7 KB

Waterfall 1_HDR (Photoshop CS3)[/B]
    Name:  Waterfall-1_HDR2.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  446.6 KB

Bridge (Base EV) TAMRON 18-250
    Name:  Bridge-(base).jpg
Views: 302
Size:  469.2 KB

Bridge_HDR (Photoshop CS3)
    Name:  Bridge_HDR2.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  477.8 KB

Please feel free to comment ... because, like anything, this is a learning process and everyone needs to understand the power of this newest feature that SONY has provided to the camera. Under the proper light, I was tripod-free and handheld-shots were a breeze. Just press shutter with "bracket-continuous" selected and hold still for the three shots.

I see this as a nice option when the sun is extremely powerful ... because you can quickly bring up those shadows, in the HDR ... and render the highlights. Snappy response, too, doing it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-12-2008 at 01:24 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Just another shot ...

Here's an earlier waterfall shot I took, yesterday, where I was still coping using the new bracket controls. This was with the single-shot (non-continuous) bracket mode +/- 2EV. The image was taken with the 28-300mm @ 45mm, handheld.

Waterfall2 (Base EV)
    Name:  Waterfall-2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  476.6 KB

Waterfall 2_HDR (Photoshop)

Name:  Waterfall-2_HDR2.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  432.3 KB

I feel the HDR really allows you to get into those highlights ... and work 'em.

I am also finding the HDR program is cropping the overall edges, to square up all three images.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-12-2008 at 01:24 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool results, these were all at -2,0,and +2 EV?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Talking Yes ... the A700 is HDR ready!

Yes ... that was the setting with the new version-4 upgrade fuctionality. I may just take a lot of my future shots, in this way. You can always pluck out the center exposure and just use it, like you normally would ... but NOW, in my estimation, at least you have the clear option of HDR, handheld, and no more fooling around, between shots, with the settings.

With this one change, the α700 jumps ahead and is definitely worth the price. This is a clear example of it actually and quite easily doing something you just cannot get (w/o some difficulty) from the introductory cameras. The problem is, it's a little hard to demonstrate in a store. LOL

This is also a point where I have to add that an f/2.8 lens would come in very handy, to broaden the dynamic range of the overall shot, but that's just something to consider, on your next lens choice. You need to have the camera first. Should be a few well-maintained α700 coming free with the actual release of the α900, next month. Keep your ebay-eyes open.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-12-2008 at 01:22 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Do you think they are still working on updates for the A100 or did they throw us to the curb. LOL
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Frank lets hope they don't throw the 100's to the curb LOL Man I tell you with some of the handheld shots you have posted the a700 with the upgrade in your hands might bring out some AWESOME shots! Alos in my "someday" list I had thought about trying to pick up a 100 or a 200 as my back up or not good weather for the 700 camera. But again I have so much stuff on my someday list! maybe after all the 900 rush Sony will provide some updates for the 100 and 200's also.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

ahem.... 300 series! LOL

we can only hope for the entire line to be updated.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Lightbulb Middle ground choices aren't bad ...

Look, when the weather gets better ... uh, next week! I will try and do my dynamic HDR stuff. We've got rain predicted like ... forever, right now.

It has been my practice to purchase the middle offering in a product line. The premium stuff costs more and rarely offers that much more bang for the buck and better results. Yes, better glass is an exception to the rule, but the better camera body is definitely a "diminishing return."

I suppose it could be a "caste" type of choice, but I know I have always been dissatisfied with low-end stuff. I'm always left wanting for more and with my appetite ... that gets ugly real fast.

So ... anyway ... the A700, while some believe it may be the top of the line ... it's mid-level or prosumer camera. I've stated it before and been chastized and castigated for it, but it truly is the BEST place to start, if you have a couple extra hundred and are serious about moving forward with photography.

I do not want to alienate the A200, A300 & A350 bunch ... as they do have their place, but I suggest that YOU have to decide what place YOU want to be in. The A700 definitely has the most "bang for the buck."

"What about this new A900, Don?"

Going to the A900 ... for most folks just will not be realized or realistic. It's 3x more than the A700 for the camera alone and 4x more, if you want to complete it (with flash, vertical grip & extra battery).

Add that to the sheer capacity you will need to adequately manipulate the A900 image files it creates. They overwhelm nearly 90% of the current PCs in use. That's a cost most people do not see until they get the camera home. It can be a shocking eye-opener, when you find that you need 4 GB of RAM and hyper-thread processor.

Yes, the A900 has the APS-C 13 MP Mode (Crop Mode), but why in the world would you buy a camera like the A900, when you are planning to operate it like an A700? Potential growth? I suppose that is an argument, but not a viable one, as the A700 would still be the cheaper and better solution, eventually advancing to the A900 when you are "damn good" ... and ready!

So ... all things being the same ... if you are still reading this, consider going to the A700 ... and get that return in your photography. I shoot it ... and I likes it. (Just an opinion)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-12-2008 at 07:07 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I reshot the base of the falls at 500 ... tripod mount, using the A100.

Came up with this:

Name:  Lower-Falls_HDR2-800.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  341.4 KB

It is shot in the afternoon shadow ... and I suspect the MORNING light would be a better idea.

flickr & Sdi

Seems really dark/hazy. Why is that? Is there a vast differince in range with this picture? I can't really tell.
    flickr