Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Des Plaines, IL

Cool Some A700 ver-4 update results

Hi guys!

If you were not aware, SONY released (kind of accidentally) the new upcoming version 4 bios for the A700.

It added a +/-2 EV to the bracketing function, making HDR images a heck of a lot easier to produce. So ... in my constant need for review ... I tried it out ... at the Chicago Botanical Gardens, today. This first image is only an hour old. I will populate this thread with some of the results I have gotten from roughly four lenses:

1) Sony 50mm f/1.4
    2) TAMRON 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 Di
    3) TAMRON 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 Di-II
    4) Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6

Here is the first one I done, using that feature. Now, I am only going to provide the base exposure and then the resultant HDR for the over and under.

Here we go ...

Floral E (Base EV) Tokina 80-400
    Attachment 39666

Floral E_HDR (Photoshop CS3)
    Attachment 39667

Floral F (Base EV) Tokina 80-400
    Attachment 39664

Floral F HDR (Photoshop CS3)
    Attachment 39665

Waterfall 1 (Base EV) Tokina 80-400
    Attachment 39668

Waterfall 1_HDR (Photoshop CS3)[/B]
    Attachment 39669

Bridge (Base EV) TAMRON 18-250
    Attachment 39672

Bridge_HDR (Photoshop CS3)
    Attachment 39673

Please feel free to comment ... because, like anything, this is a learning process and everyone needs to understand the power of this newest feature that SONY has provided to the camera. Under the proper light, I was tripod-free and handheld-shots were a breeze. Just press shutter with "bracket-continuous" selected and hold still for the three shots.

I see this as a nice option when the sun is extremely powerful ... because you can quickly bring up those shadows, in the HDR ... and render the highlights. Snappy response, too, doing it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-12-2008 at 02:24 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi