Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Nikon D90 or Sony A700?

I've done much research and it's down to these two. I have no previous glass...starting from scratch. The camera will be for my wife who is taking it up as a hobby and to learn on with intentions of turning it into a side business down the road. She's already enrolled in a few photography classes and Photoshop CS3. So it's important whatever the choice, that she can upgrade as she progresses and not lose whatever investment in glass we start buying now.

If we go Nikon, she can upgrade to D300, D700, and D3 today. If we go Sony, she can only upgrade to A900 today. Seems as if Nikon has more choices to grow with as far as the bodies go.

As for glass, I've read many posts about the Sony glass (or any for that fact) not needing IS in them because the A700 has IS built into the body. But it seems as if the good Sony glass is just as expensive as good Nikkon VR glass. And it appears that there is more glass for Nikon than Sony.

The movie capability on the D90 is a bonus, but not a huge deciding factor. The other difference is the D90 uses SD(HC) and the A700 can use either CompactFlash or MemoryStick. If we go with Nikon and upgrade to another Nikon body, we'll lose investment in SDHC cards and have to buy CompactFlash.

So which one:
    Nikon D90 with AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6g ED VR lens for $1299.99 or
    Sony A700 with DT 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 for $1299.99?

its good that you're looking into the future but really I think the Nikon D90 is the one for you, by the time you want to upgrade there probably be a D5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Quote Originally Posted by a2dslr View Post
    I've done much research and it's down to these two. I have no previous glass...starting from scratch.
    well the d90 has JUST been released and to my knowledge there are no reviews of it yet. in all likelihood it will be a strong performer but until there are some definitive reviews we dont know for SURE how it will perform against the a700.

dont discount the canon 40d either. not as fancy as the other 2 bodies but its a semi-pro canon body so its high quality and the image quality is excellent. add to that the fact that it hasnt been a strong seller and you have a body that is heavily discounted to the point where its now a steal.

So it's important whatever the choice, that she can upgrade as she progresses and not lose whatever investment in glass we start buying now.
    you will never "lose" the investment. whatever system you buy into can be sold later down the road. especially if you buy good glass, the resale value on nikkors in particualr is very strong so dont be afraid of it as locking you in to anything.

If we go Nikon, she can upgrade to D300, D700, and D3 today. If we go Sony, she can only upgrade to A900 today. Seems as if Nikon has more choices to grow with as far as the bodies go.
    as Turn already stated, by the time you upgrade there will be more sony bodies and more nikon bodies etc its a very dynamic market nowadays so your upgrade path is secure regardless of the system you choose.

As for glass, I've read many posts about the Sony glass (or any for that fact) not needing IS in them because the A700 has IS built into the body. But it seems as if the good Sony glass is just as expensive as good Nikkon VR glass.
    sony glass is generally more expensive. but of course built in IS means that any lens is stabilised, including any old Minolta lens'.

And it appears that there is more glass for Nikon than Sony.
    yes that is true, but really....how much glass do you need ? ithink all systems now have sufficient range to satisfy peoples needs.

The other difference is the D90 uses SD(HC) and the A700 can use either CompactFlash or MemoryStick. If we go with Nikon and upgrade to another Nikon body, we'll lose investment in SDHC cards and have to buy CompactFlash.
    MS is not really a serious move by sony its just a necessity for them to continue marketing their proprietry memory system. memory is pretty chep nowadays so i wouldnt let this be a factor in your decision making at all. particulalry given that we dont know what the future holds. ie: perhaps all dslr will be moving to SD cards in future.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr