Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hitech ND gradual filter for Tamron 17-50mm lens

I am thinking of buying a 2-stop Hitech filter but need to know what is the correct size to use for that lens. I am also thinking of stacking it with either a ND400 filter or a Circular Polarizer, so what do I need to purchase as well.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Hitech P/85 2-stop and 4-stop hard edge. I highly recommend getting the 4-stop. The 2-stop does make a difference, but not much. 4 stops is definitely not too much for use in most daylight. I'd recommend just getting the 4-stop, then you don't need to worry about stacking with another grad. I do combine the grad with the CPL, as in this shot. It works great.

The mm measurement here refers to the diameter of the lens. The Tamron 17-50mm lens is 67 mm. However, these filters are rectangular and are just held in front of the lens (you can buy a holder, but I just hand-hold them.) Although my filters are the 52mm size, I can use them with all of my lenses. It does get a little "tighter" when zoomed all the way out to 18mm.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Thanks a lot for that. You shot looks great with both filters stacked.

Btw, in the 2filters link, http://www.2filter.com/prices/htpackages.html, which of those is the 4-stop grad. because I am about to place an order?

Cheers.

ND 1.2 is 4 stops.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Thanks!

Btw, nice photos in your Flickr page.

I hope you like your filters, I'll look forward to seeing your results.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr