Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Cool Hefty grips

It would appear that people are struggling with the weight of the SONY 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM as I kind of thought hey might. This lens is not for those people who are not used to it or other lenses like it. It has some serious heft and extended holding will be ... a task.

Name:  70-400mm-g-ssm-f4-f5-large.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  267.6 KB
    (Click on image to see video ...)

They say it will not be available until after Christmas and judging by these last few months from SONY ... I am exceptionally inclined to believe it.

After some discussion, though, folks who have had a chance to make use of it are very "up" on how well it works on the A900, unlike the SONY 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM, which, I am told, has some vignetting issues.

Without personally witnessing this ... I will reserve my own judgement upon it. Personally, I plan on using the TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD and that is really what currently holds my interest for A900 performance.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-14-2008 at 08:55 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lol.... she definitely cannot do much with that!

That's pretty odd that the 70-200/2.8 G SSM has vignetting issues with it. :\

The two currently announced lenses aren't going to be released till January 09, quite a mistake on Sony's part I think.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Well ... there goes my shot at the A900 ... the market dropped 777.68 points, today ... and that, my friends, ends the plan to purchase the A900 for me, anytime soon. Tomorrow will probably be just as bad. Sorry, I had other plans, but no way, Jose'.

So, it's arrivaderci to the new rig and I wish the rest of you much better luck than I had financially swinging this.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lol.... things will get better eventually..... I'm hoping camera prices/equipment starts dropping
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I did some researching on some of the new cameras ... found the Nikon D700 for $2559 ... the EOS 5DMkII was announced at $2699 ... so that makes the SONY A900 kind of high, right now. After Christmas ... I may try to consider it again, if the CZ 24-70 f/2.8 and CZ 16-35mm f/2.8 don't bite me, first. Tough call ... I already have those ranges covered with moderately good glass.

Let's face it ... Full Frame is the way to go ... really. If all the cameras were back to the same size, it'd be a lot easier on the industry, as a whole. There are people suggesting we by-pass "Full Frame" altogether and just move into medium format size, because when you consider it ... film size is now irrelevant. Only the sensor and position of the lens relative to it are the real players, these days. Unfortunately, sensor costs are still a tad bit too ... high. But, like we all know ... things doth change.

The medium format DSLR is a noble goal. I know I'd certainly go for it ... if you could make it work with my existing lenses, that is.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-29-2008 at 04:42 PM.

flickr & Sdi