Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A900 is finally OUT!

Engadget

Sony's been showing off the full-frame Alpha A900 DSLR since February, and after popping up in ads and in the wild last week, it's official today, right on cue. Same basic specs you've known forever: 24.6 Exmor CMOS sensor, dual BIONZ image processors, ISO 6400 sensitivity, 3.0-inch LCD, 5fps shooting, and SteadyShot INSIDE in-body optical image stabilization. Sony's also launching a few new Alpha lenses to complement this beast, including a Carl Zeiss 70-400mm f4-5.6 zoom. Early impressions from CNET are that it's a bit slow to autofocus and didn't wow with image quality, but dpreview was impressed overall, so we'll wait for some in-depth reviews to hit before making a final judgment. You're looking at a $3,000 outlay when this thing goes on sale in October -- check out more pics in the gallery, and a quick video after the break.
    Apparently CNET thinks it's "SLOW".....what's that supposed to mean? Your using the kit lens or something? Yeah I bet it would be slow.
    edit: she was using a 24-70mm F/2.8 lens (I have no idea if this is a slow one or not).

SONY Press Release

DC Resource!
    DPReview Hands-On
    Image Resource

CNET Hands-On
    With short review video,

So much to read!

* Automatic crop factor is applied when DSLR-A900 is used with DT format lenses. Exposure accuracy is not guaranteed with DT lenses in certain shooting situations.
    AWESOME! I don't think any other manufacturer does this!

Another thing to note is that it uses a new grip, the VG-C90AM .

- Model: DSLR-A900
    - Camera type: Digital SLR camera with interchangeable lenses
    - Lens mount: Sony α mount, compatible with Minolta A-type bayonet mount (without DT le
    - Lens Compatibility: Sonyα Lens*1 and Konica Minolta α/MAXXUM/DYNAX Lens*1
    - Image Sensor Type: "Exmor" CMOS Image Sensor
    - Image Sensor Size: 35.9 X 24.0mm
    - Effective Pixel Number: 24,610K pixels
    - Anti-Dust: Charge protection coating on Low-Pass Filter and Image Sensor-Shift mechanism
    - Recording media: Memory Stick Duo,Memory Stick PRO Duo,Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Compact Flash Type I, Type II (Microdrive),UDMA(Mode5) compliant
    - Media slot: Memory Stick Duo/Compact Flash Dual slot
    - Image format: JPEG,RAW(ARW2.1 Format),RAW+JPEG
    - D-RangeOptimizer: off,Standard/ Advanced: Auto/Advanced: Level
    - Image stabislisation: On system image Sensor-Shift mechanism
    - Noise reduction: On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 second, High/Normal/Low/Off, available at the ISO set to 1600 or above
    - Auto Focus system: TTL phase-detection system, CCD line sensors, 9 points + 10 assist focus points
    - ISO sensivity: ISO 200 - 3200 equivalent, ISO numbers up from ISO100 to ISO6400 can be set as expanded ISO range.
    - Flash system: External, Wireless control with HVL-F58AM, ADI flash / Pre-flash TTL metering
    - Shutter: Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
    1/8000 second - 30 seconds speed range, bulb
    - Continuous-advance rate: Hi:Approx.5 frames per second at maximum, Lo:Approx.3 frames per second
    - LCD Monitor: 7.5 cm(3.0"), TFT Xtra Fine, 921 600(640x3(RGB)x480) dots
    - Battery type: InfoLitium NP-FM500H,7.2V
    - Battery life: Approx. 88 0 shots(CIPA measurement)
    - Dimensions: Approx.156x117x82mm(6 1/8 x 4 5/8 x 3 1/4 inches)
    - Weight: Approx. 850g (1 lb 14 oz)
    Uses the A200-350 Batteries , a bit heavy, longer life.

The α900 full-frame digital SLR will be available from October 2008.
    Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM and 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM lenses will be available from early 2009.
    Last edited by dr4gon; 09-09-2008 at 08:29 AM.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

From the DP Review:

Anti-Blur
    Well, a lot of people said it wasn't possible, but Sony has managed to produce a sensor-shift SteadyShot image stabilization system with a full frame sensor. Its actuator is 1.5x more powerful and 1.3x faster than previous models, and is claimed to offer an up to 4 stops advantage. It's compatible with all lenses. The CCD shift is also used (in conjunction with a special anti-static coating on the sensor) to offer a dust removal feature.
    We're big fans of consistency across camera ranges and the Alpha 900 is - aside from the rather old-school pentaprism design and more solid build quality - surprisingly similar to its little brother, the Alpha 700. It may not be the prettiest camera ever designed (all a matter of opinion of course) but it is incredibly well built and has a clean, logical and functional layout that marries a sensible level of external control (there's a rash of buttons all over the body) with an excellent on-screen control system.

I have to say that we're very impressed with the A900's tank-like build and (relatively speaking) low weight. It handles incredibly well, which combined with the responsiveness and superb viewfinder, make it a pleasure for the serious photographer to use. Sure there are some niggles (some of the button placement could be better) but overall this feels like a mature, intuitive and unpretentious tool designed first and foremost for taking pictures. I can only presume the DSLR team has never met the guys behind the current range of Cyber-shot cameras... and I hope they never do.

LOL, comes with a remote which can playback pictures on the TV AND TAKE PICTURES!
    Last edited by dr4gon; 09-09-2008 at 08:30 AM.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

gee Sony...

despite how much I don't like their cameras or their TV's

you gotta give them some praise for their innovation
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    LOL, comes with a remote which can playback pictures on the TV AND TAKE PICTURES!
    It comes with the A700, also. That's not new.

Just make sure you put the remote somewhere in your bag where the buttons on its surface don't "accidentally" get pressed ... otherwise it'll be dead in a couple of days, unless the batteries are removed. (yeah ... I know, firsthand ) It really needs a hard-cover sleeve of somekind.

Excuse me, is it just me or did other people think that there would be a few more lenses announced? Just two? I kind of had this in mind, from PMA 08 ...

Anyway, with the cameras "DT" compatibility mode (APS-C sensor conversion), ALL of your mountable lenses will work .. so you can just buy this camera and drop it right into your existing bag o' glass and off you go. A match made like none other (I suspect that the other manufacturers have some work to do with THEIR Full Frames).

Full Frame ANTI-SHAKE ... and ANTI-SHAKE on EVERY mounted lens! It just gets better & better.

Way, way cool ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-09-2008 at 10:01 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Unfortunately, there are no "pre-sales" listed anywhere ... this must have come as a "complete and utter surprise" to ALL the Internet Retailers, huh? LOL Guess they don't watch the forums or news-releases. Too busy grabbing all the money.

Don't you just hate being blind-sided? Yeah, right. Even SONY doesn't have it on their website, yet ... and it's their toy! You'd think they'd have this fabulous addition all ready for publication and on "toggle release." Lord knows, they had plenty of time. Uh, guess not.

Weirdest part, there isn't even one up on ... ebay, yet. Who knew?

It's most confusing.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-09-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

What, no built-in Blu-Ray player?

I was hoping I could play GTA IV on it...
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

JTL ... what's with the Blu-Ray idea? What has Canon ever developed, other than a "we don't listen to our users" policy? Weird, huh?

I mean just look at that interior, JTL.

Name:  mirror box.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  267.5 KB

So, when you getting with it and finally coming to ... the Dark Side?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-09-2008 at 12:56 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    JTL ... what's with the Blu-Ray idea? What has Canon ever developed, other than a "we don't listen to our users" policy? Weird, huh?

So, when you getting with it and finally coming to ... the Dark Side?
    Aw, I'm just havin' me some fun!

No doubt...the A900 is a great achievement...and the price is right! But, I'm already on the Dark Side...the true Dark Side...the power of which you do not fully understand...

And...if Canon are the Jedi and Nikon are the Sith, I guess that makes Sony the Trade Federation...appropirate, I think!
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

BOOOMMMMM !!! this is a real kick in the guts for the market. sony did exactly what i prayed and hoped. 24mp FX camera with 19AF points for $3k. faaark me now thats bang for buck !

even of the performance is not 100% up to standard, boardrooms all over the photographic world just had heart failure at that price point.

Frank, THIS is what i was talking about in the other thread, THIS is why sony is critical to the market, THIS is why sometimes we talk alot about gear. Sony have just changed the face of FX dslr...permanantly. Canon need the 6d to be VERY special indeed.

great news for every photographer using any format.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I can't wait to see some images. This should get Nikon and Canon to hit the drawing boards if they haven't already.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter