Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Will either of these GPS Photofinder units work with Sony Alpha camera cards?

Q: Does the Photo Finder support CompactFlash or xD flash cards?
    A: The Photo Finder supports all memory cards as long as they’re formatted using a FAT/FAT32 file system. For SD(HC) and Memory Stick cards, there is a built in card slot. For other memory card formats such as CF and xD, a standard USB reader (sold separately) can be directly plugged into the Photo Finder using the USB adapter cable (included). An ATP USB card reader is recommended to ensure compatibility and performance.

Q: Does the Photo Finder support my camera model?

A: The Photo Finder should work with most cameras which use JPEG type photo files. This is because the Photo Finder geotags photos directly on your memory card.

Q: Is the Photo Finder compatible with Mac OS and Windows?
    A: The Photo Finder will work in conjunction with any operating system which supported your photos without geotagging. The Photo Finder actually logs and geotags without the use of a PC so there aren’t any compatibility issues with operating systems.

Q: Does the Photo Finder support RAW formats?
    A: Unfortunately, the Photo Finder currently only works with JPEG type photo files. ATP is currently researching the addition of RAW type format support.
    http://photofinder.atpinc.com/support.html

So, yes it does. Just wont tag RAW files on any camera. Shoot JPEG+Raw and you should be ok .

http://photofinder.atpinc.com/Softwa...ty_of_Sony.pdf

Definitive proof (on their site) that it works!

So what camera are you getting?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I don't think that the geotaggers are camera specific, If just starting out with DSLR there are lots and I mean LOTS of other things to spend money on first, trust me and / or dr4gon on this LOL. First off you want lenses, then more lenses, then lots of lenses.
    Oh and by the way did we ever say hello and welcome to the forum?
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Thanks for the welcome.

Been on this site for years, and participated in the forum before but I lost my username and password because I've been concentrating on videography. (That's my thing.)

At this point, IF AND WHEN money becomes available (the local economy is like the Great Depression II, so no guarantees there) I will likely be looking at Sony's A300 or A 350. I have never owned an SLR, but wanted one since the first hearing about the original Digital Rebel.

I currently use two point-and-shoot digicams:

Canon PowerShot S2 IS (high zoom 5 MP cam), 2005 vintage
    Olympus Camedia C-3020Z (3x zoom 3.2 MP cam) 2001 vintage

I'm not wild about Sony's point-and-shoot models, which seem to buzz with gimmicks and are known for less than intuitive interfaces and manuals. But the Alpha SLRs caught my eye, especially the 300 and 350, because they combine features that I want: live view, ultra-sonic image sensor protection, flip-out LCD, great prices, nice bodies.

I like cameras by Canon, Olympus, Nikon and Sony (Sony of the SLR variety) and camcorders by Canon.

I'm part of a small family business in rural PA, looking to go off on my own eventually in the videography field. I work as a jack-of-all-trades with Macintosh computers, iPhoto, Final Cut Pro, Toast, etc.

Very cool, where abouts in rural PA. rural N.E. Ohio here, I would suggest the A300 over the A350 from what I have heard and read, dr4gon can talk to you about the A300, if you are going to really get into digital photography the 700 should be looked at. And you may want to look for a deal on a100 or 200 Frank / sparkie has the 100 I think and it does very well, he puts up great wildlife shots with it. Maybe able to find some good deals online for them.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

NW PA here.

I have alot of other headaches in the near term. I need more hard drive space, both in my MacBook Pro and externally. Need new software as well. Those things will come first, well before any new cameras.

Will keep your suggestions in mind for Sonys. Will also be looking for lenses. I want a good zoomer for catching wildlife; should be able to zoom in at dusk. Would also want some lenses for other things, such as outdoor and indoor events (including the sled dog races) and one for landscapes/sunsets/vistas; presumably wide-angle).

This will of course be a ways off for me, assuming I can find the money. Any suggestions on lenses and accessories as well as how to learn about them and operating an Alpha would be most welcome.

Sounds like quite a plan you have laid out for yourself! I think I would probably recommend the A200. That's what I would've gotten if I didn't find the A300 at such a good price. The A200 has a better viewfinder because it does not have live view and tiltable screen (a small tradeoff, I use the viewfinder like 97% of the time.

As for a zoom lens. You should get the Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2. We actually all own it because it's that good and it's so budget friendly at ~$160. It makes a great addition to the kit lens (which should probably be replaced afterwards with something like a Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]. Or you could could go a different route and get the Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 DiII [IF] Lens and just use it to replace the kit. Either 2 lenses which offer more flexibility or 1 ultra zoom lens to make things easy (just not the fastest of lenses).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Thanks for the pointers. Very much appreciated.

I will keep those lenses in mind.

For me, it's an Alpha 300 or no Sony SLR at all. I want live view, the ultrasonic sensor protection, the flip out LCD, high resolution, etc.