Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Tamron 70-300 @ The Zoo

A few close-up shots. No PP, just resize.

White Tiger (f/8.0, 1/400sec, ISO: 400, Focal Length: 280mm, Metering: Pattern)

Rino (f/5.6, 1/160sec, ISO: 100, Focal Length: 70mm, Metering: Pattern)

Baboon (f/8.0, 1/125sec, ISO: 400, Focal Length: 110mm, Metering: Center-Weighted)

Lioness (f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO: 400, Focal Length: 300mm, Metering: Pattern)
    Last edited by oric1; 09-07-2008 at 01:49 AM.

Question Is PP a bad thing

Good stuff, oric1. What can you do with PP on these? That #1 shot could probably be "enhanced" if you were so inclined.

PP is not a bad thing ... it is a tool. The degree to which you need to employ it could be an issue with how the photographer shoots and the quality of this gear. I do find that the better the lens ... the less work I am having to do. Light also has a lot to do with it. It is rare that the photgrapher gets ... "perfect light." A touch-up here and there can make a whole lot of difference.

I thought the #1 shot had kind of a pinkish cast to it. Not a lot, but enough that I toyed with it a bit ... and I am wondering ... does this look closer?

Name:  WhiteTiger adj.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  81.5 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-07-2008 at 02:49 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

These look great! Some PP would help make them pop a bit more. Like WB, blurring the background, enhancing the contrast, etc....
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Thanks Don & Dr4gon. Actually PP is not a bad thing

Oh yes, I didn't notice the tiger was a little pinkish... hey, it looks better now... thanks.

Ok, the baboon was a little soft so I PP it, how's that now? Did I over do it?

Yeah too much sharpening to the point that it's just noise on the fur. Also I think the rock is pretty distracting. You should try to frame the picture so especially the animal is not in the dead center. You should also (if possible) give the animal some room in front of the direction it's facing so that it's not boxed in. To be honest, I'm not sure there's much you can do for the poor guy.

I really like this one though! He's adorable.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Lightbulb Monkeying around with ideas ...

I took a different tact on the baboon.

Indulge me here:

I saw the rock as "negative space, doing nothing to improve the shot ... and once again, competing with the subject as being the brightest spot in the photograph ... therefore dominating it. So ... I lopped it out. It makes the subject standout more and still, like you are stealthily peeking around at him.

I also did the usually contrasting adjustments, reddened up his rump a little, a bit o' sharpening ... and here you go ...

Name:  Baboon-crop.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  471.4 KB

Now, this last part is really a judgement call ... I darkened and blurred the rock, altogether ... taking away its "in focus" look.

Name:  Baboon-blur-dark-rock.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  407.2 KB

I know what you are thinking, "Don, for God's sake ... the rock and the baboon are nearly the same color ... there's almost no color contrast between them."

With Photoshop, you are this image's God ... so ... you change the color of the rock!

Name:  Baboon-rock-color.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  398.7 KB

I gotta ask ... "Is he poppin' yet?" I'd say that's something to roar about.

Then ... just on a lighting theory ... where you kind of want your lines leading to your subject, I "distorted" the image in a trapeziodal fashion, by broadening the top ... making his face far more fierce-looking, but also subtley directing the vertical lines of the water fall in towards the center. It also pulled some more of that rock out of the way.

Name:  Baboon-distort.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  362.0 KB

I suppose this may be taking it a bit too far and changing the character of the shot ... but, it's just for trial & example, right? Post processing ... just imagine and make it happen.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-07-2008 at 12:53 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

So once again Don shows me I need to spend MORE money, I only have the photo software that came with the A700 to use, I do have Paint shop pro, about a 5 year old copy that I have never bothered to learn, my daughter uses it. So add P.P. program to the list. Oh and Oric1 those are pretty good pics to start with also, really like the lioness shot.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Dr4gon, you're right, perhaps I shouldn't have over done the sharpening, it look rather distracting for both the baboon & the rock.. LOL. Thanks for your comments, guess next time I should apply the Rule of Thirds.

Don, you're just so fantastic! I'm very impressed with your PP skills. You actually documented each & every shot you PP'ed... we sure can learn something here Wow, trimming the size of the rock & changing the color really makes the baboon stands out!

Thanks Sean. Just like you, I was using Paint Shop Pro X2... however, my daughter was using Photoshop but I found it difficult to master that's why I sticked with PSP

Actually I was wrong , Don did a pretty good job with that picture! The baboon definitely looks more angry now!
    flickr