Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Question about Sony Alpha accessories

I am considering someday buying a digital SLR camera, and at least on paper I like the looks of the Sony Alpha family.

I have a question about Alpha accessories:

Is there a cigarette lighter adaptor available for charging an Alpha's battery while on the road? I know that SLR don't need much power to operate, but if I took the camera on a trip to backcountry, I'd want a way to top off the camera's battery en route.

Also: what kind of body-hugging pouches/bags are available for SLRs if you wanted to take one on an extended hike?

I was trying to top off my camera's battery last weekend before going up to the country and it probably needed to add 5% but for some reason it wouldn't stop charging after like 3 hours, so I just pulled the plug and took it with me. Turns out it was 100%, whatever that means.... But it still lasted just as long as far as I was aware. I think maybe the way Sony charges is it decharges and then charges again? Not sure....

I would say get a spare if you think you may exceed ~750-1000 shots (if your memory card even goes up that high).

As for charging in the car, a power inverter would be your best option for a laptop, cell phone, camera, or whatever....

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...ower-Inverters

Welcome by the way!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Yeah, I agree with 'dr4gon' ... a generic "inverter" would have to be cheaper than anything SONY made. LOL You put that brand label on it ... and you add 50% to the cost, easy.

I bought SONY's AC-VQ900AM, which charges two batteries, simultaneously and ... with the flip of a switch, powers the camera from AC ... bypassing the batteries altogether, which is great for studio use.

Another thing, if you use a "Vertical Grip" ... your need for a charge is greatly diminished, as it carries two batteries in it ... and that's easily 1000 shots, high-speed ... with autofocus running.

There's another 2 cents for ya.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Yeah, I agree with 'dr4gon' ... a generic "inverter" would have to be cheaper than anything SONY made. LOL You put that brand label on it ... and you add 50% to the cost, easy.

I bought SONY's AC-VQ900AM, which charges two batteries, simultaneously and ... with the flip of a switch, powers the camera from AC ... bypassing the batteries altogether, which is great for studio use.

Another thing, if you use a "Vertical Grip" ... your need for a charge is greatly diminished, as it carries two batteries in it ... and that's easily 1000 shots, high-speed ... with autofocus running.

There's another 2 cents for ya.
    OMG $.02 .... I was wanting something that could AC power the camera, seems like a relatively inexpensive addon, but I couldn't be more WRONG ! At $120, you'd think it could make glass sharper or focus on something.... jeeze, it's just power! Guess that idea goes out the window.

I wonder what the longest exposure and longest 30sec sky time lapse I could do with my camera on one battery.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Well, another thing popped into my mind.

A winter activity I'm involved in every year is a series of sled dog races.

IIRC, one of the snowmobiles I use has a ciggie lighter port on it. I also occasionally tap on a Prestone JumpIt! jump-starter battery to top off my Canon MiniDV camcorder while I'm out on the trail (all day long) shooting footage of the races. Sometimes it helps to have the JumpIt! battery along to keep the batteries from suffering in the cold.

I'm a little dubious about stashing an SLR in my snow suit. What kind of cold storage is available for units like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Canlympus View Post
    Well, another thing popped into my mind.

A winter activity I'm involved in every year is a series of sled dog races.

IIRC, one of the snowmobiles I use has a ciggie lighter port on it. I also occasionally tap on a Prestone JumpIt! jump-starter battery to top off my Canon MiniDV camcorder while I'm out on the trail (all day long) shooting footage of the races. Sometimes it helps to have the JumpIt! battery along to keep the batteries from suffering in the cold.

I'm a little dubious about stashing an SLR in my snow suit. What kind of cold storage is available for units like this?
    I read on dyxum recently that someone had taken his a700 (or was it 100, I think 700) up a cold mountain and didn't keep the battery close to his body to preserve the charge and it was just fine. It seems these cameras are very tough when it comes to being handled. If you are really worried, I would just keep the battery close to you in a pocket and definitely pick up a spare.
    flickr

A second battery will give you plenty of power, can keep the spare close to you to keep warm. If it is going ot be a extended time between shooting take the battery out of the camera and put in pocket. If you really want to be sure het a third battery. But that may be overkill. Cold weather will decrease battery life true but i don't think to a point of concern, are you out in the cold for long periods of time? When recharging a battery that has been able to return to room temp will take a better charge. I haven't used a jumpit kit in years but I don't think I would charge camera batteries or electronics off it. I would make sure also to watch out for moisture, and try and avoid sudden temp. changes with the Dslr. Just my thoughts.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/