Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    Somebody needs to post some images so everybody has something to talk about instead of this pissing contest. Nobody is going to win anyway. They each have there pros and cons it is just a matter of what you like.
    Frank
    actually this is far from a pissing contest Frank. this camera is a very important milestone for everyone regardless of what brand they shoot.

why ? cos it could be the first step in making a real change in the price of full frame dslr's. you may not think that effects you but believe me, in years to come this sony release could have a massive impact on pricing for everyone, be they rank amateurs, semi pros or pros, APS-C or full frame.

only 2 years ago we would never have dreamed of the cameras you can buy now for the prices they are coming in at. this is another phase in that dramatic price reduction.

when you ditch the a100 for something better it is these times, these discussions and this consumer pressure that will determine what you will be able to get for your money in a couple of years.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I understand that however which on is better will always be a matter of choice. I can't wait till can upgrade my camera. I am still in the learning stage and haven't even used half of the features of my camera yet.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Red face I can relate ...

It took me several months to develop a routine for shooting digital, after I got my Canon EOS 20D. I was so conditioned to a 'fixed ISO' of the film, the only aspects that really mattered (other than your light source) were the filters (hence, my huge Cokin-filter selection), the aperture and the shutter speed.

Then, with the digital's "variable ISO" thrown in ... OMG, I have to tell ya.

But, then ... anti-shake made its way into the picture (pardon the pun ) ... and from the moment I experienced it with my brand new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens ... I was hooked. The only problem I faced, at that point, was ... I simply did NOT want to have to BUY IT ON EVERY LENS! The costs were ... well, staggering.

ENTER ... SONY and the ALPHA-series of DSLR (reborn from the Mind of Minolta). I'm telling you, Frank ... I nearly jumped out of my skin to get one of those α100 cameras and have IS instantly available on EVERY Minolta-mount lens I owned. Simply incredible!

Yes, I knew the α100 was effectively a "prototype", to hold over the maddening Minolta-throng, until the α700 could make the scene ... but, it was such a blessing to relieve myself of the Canon-curse of expensive IS-solutions. So, I tolerated the missing PC-sync port ... the missing Vertical Grip (until Dicain made one) ... and the other items that would finally be included in the α700. IS was the gift!

So, I understand your need to step up from the α100. As nice a camera as it is ... the α700 just steps up and away, in such fine style, I suspect you will never question the decision to buy it. (It goes without saying that the α900 will have to be that much better. )

I apologize for the long, drawn out explanation. I just want to be clear ... because some of the folks on here ... despite their relatively impressive images ... are a little "myopic" when it comes to ... financial decision-making. The "BIG TWO" are deep into their respective pockets .. and they either just accept it ... or simply can't bear to make the change.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-05-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I am thinking about it and might just have to start looking. I my put it om my xmas list.LOL
    Thats how I got this one. ( I did buy it for myself from everybody) That is one way to get the gift you want.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Red face be careful what your wish for ...

Yeah, I tried that, last year, with the Celestron Telescope ...

Name:  nexstar8se.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  101.5 KB

and wound up with a couple CD-selections from the local mall. LOL Oh well ... I do have expensive tastes and I have to put my "Eagle" through college.

The price of the A700 is coming down, though. You may just find a reasonable price very soon, after the A900 hits the shelves.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-05-2008 at 09:51 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I can't wait to start using this 10" LX200 whenever I get a chance (belongs to an astronomy club). Although I'm thinking prime focus will be difficult to well... focus.

Name:  lx200.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  149.2 KB
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The costs were ... well, staggering.

Canon-curse of expensive IS-solutions.

I apologize for the long, drawn out explanation. I just want to be clear ... because some of the folks on here ... despite their relatively impressive images ... are a little "myopic" when it comes to ... financial decision-making. The "BIG TWO" are deep into their respective pockets .. and they either just accept it ... or simply can't bear to make the change.
    this has already to been proven to be incorrect. Don, you are being dishonest.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I wasn't then, my friend ... it was almost word for word, the same complaint for everyone. In-the-lens-IS cost far too much. On average, almost $300 more per lens, as I recall. Nothing dishonest about that .. EXCEPT the pricing!

Yes, things have changed ... but, that was then .. and it was no faerie tale, my friend. It was a flippin' nightmare! Thanks to SONY, Pentax and Olympus ... life and Canikon IS-prices have returned to some level of sanity. You guys at least have SOME resolution to your choice. It's a start. I hope, for the sake of future shooting, it continues for all the lenses ... since, in-the-body-IS is ... ahem, "out of the question."

Heck, I found it rather inconvenient, to be honest. I lost some money having to change all my glass from the Canon-mount to the SONY-mount. Will I ever get over it? Does it matter? No one is stuffin' money in my pockets. If you want to take up a collection of "hush-money" ... LOL ... yeah, as if. My satisfaction would be to see Canikon finally make the HEROIC choice which would be a winner for one and all ... IS in the body and the lens. Anything short of that ... well ... complain as you wish ... problem is ... I'm not building this stuff and there isn't a "Customer Service" sign tacked over my door.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-07-2008 at 02:29 AM.

flickr & Sdi