Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Anyone wearing glasses?

There is an eye correction adjustment, next to the viewfinder, on all DSLR cameras. It is called the diopter-adjustmment dial. Usually, it changes the focal correction of the viewfinder from +2 to -2 diopters.

1) Find this adjustment (it is detented, near the upper right part of the viewfinder eye collar)

2) Remove your corrective eyewear and peer through the viewfinder.

3) Successfully AUTOFOCUS on a nearby object, probably some readable text.

4) Adjust the diopter-adjustment dial for the sharpest viewfinder image.

If you have adjusted the dial to the maximum, one way or the other, and still cannot seem to get a sharp image (when the camera does, of course), the chances are that you need to enhance the viewfinder a little (or a lot). SONY (as well as the other manufacturers) sell "eyepiece correctors" to augment that adjustment dial. They are snap-in windows that come in a variety of strengths. Use this LINK

One thing to remember, when you place one of these in your camera ... then you hand off to another user, the chances are that they may have difficulty with the DSLR and complain that they cannot get a clearly focused shot. Remember, you adjusted it to YOUR eye. You will have to remove the diopter correction lens, usually, for them to be able to establish their own sharp image (but then again, the camera will autofocus properly regardless of this item being on or off the camera).

Just a hint on how to see a better world ... through your camera's eye.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-04-2008 at 11:03 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I wear soft contacts with bifocals in them, each contact lens has 2 "rings" of vision, the brain acts like AF. I have mine adjusted all the way to the "down" position by turning it clockwise while holding the camera, I presume this is a +2, My "problem" is that I am left eye dominate, and have better far vision in the left eye also. but I just can't use the camera with my left eye!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Well, the appropriate lens can compensate for "far" vision (hint: 200-500mm)

Eye dominance with a single-eye viewfinder should not really be at issue, I would think, as you tend to get what you frame. It's not like shooting a bow ... I would imagine that would be a real problem ... aiming at the apple ...

Name:  william-tell.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  160.8 KB

and 'popping' cousin Tony,

Name:  cousin-Tony.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  44.6 KB

who was standing next to the boy.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-04-2008 at 10:49 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Like I said some time before in another posting, I just never could get the hang of the bow, hand gun shooting i keep both eyes open, but mostly am doing snap shooting center mass, On longer range shots I find myself "blading" my stance with left foot and shoulder forward and use left eye to sight. i agree the viewfinder and the lens should still give you a "clear" picture. An because I am not a marksmen I carry several high capacity mags, if I can't hit ya, I can keep your head down at least LOL.

Ah ... a rocket launcher or bazooka (<- click here) ... that'll soften them up. Just approximate and off it goes ... into the wild, blue yonder.

flickr & Sdi

LOL yea thats about what I need, wonder if you could mount a RPG to the bottom of the A700, people would get the hell out of your way! One of my all time favorites and I don't remember what it is called, out of S. Africa a vehicle mounted BELT FED RPG launcher! Talk about bang for your buck LOL

Sean, I take all my shots with my left eye. I don't know why. I think I just started doing this with this when I got the A100. I never did it with my other camera. I feel more comfortable that way. When I shoot my bow I have to close my left eye. I cannot shoot with both eyes open.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

I close both of mine and just use "Zen" techniques ...

See? Okay, J/K

flickr & Sdi

speaking of eyes closed...we do a drill where we wear welders goggles and shoot LOL simulates dark night, I do very well on the drill LOL Ashot in the dark as it where, At some point in the near future I am going to shoot for a day with the 700 and my left eye, hell it can't hurt.