Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: Why did you choose your SONY DSLR?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Other camera manufacturers did not offer certain features

2 40.00%
  • Other manufacturer’s camera costs drove me to SONY

3 60.00%
  • Other forum members influenced me in this direction

1 20.00%
  • SONY Brand allegiance

0 0%
  • I’m a prior Minolta DSLR owner with older glass

1 20.00%
  • I feel SONY is offering a superior product

2 40.00%
  • Viewed impressive examples … looking to emulate them

0 0%
  • I’m just trying it out before I try some other manufacturer

0 0%
  • I appreciate image stability with ALL lenses I mount

4 80.00%
  • It was a gift

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Please review the initial kit prices ... without these premium lenses in the evaluation. It will probably be quite a bit closer in this mythological world of which you speak.
    first of all the option you gave does not talk about kit prices. the option says that other manufaturers cost drove you to sony. to me, this implies you already invested in the system, (or are investigating), and the increased cost of building your kit with the other system far exceeds the cost of building the sony system. this is just pure BS. pound-for-pound if you are looking at develping your system with good glass or top end excellent glass, Canon and Nikon are cheaper than Sony.

just for kicks, even the STARTER systems are cheaper.

nikon d90 w/18-105VR kit lens: $1299
    canon 40d 2/17-85 IS kit lens: $1450
    sony a700 w/16-105 kit lens: $1599

wanna add a grip ?

sony's is $300, nikons is $130. 60% cheaper.

so its clearly evident that you are being disingenuous in that statement.

like i said, in-body IS is a big plus to some people, better LV implementation is great aswell. these are facts that are clear and genuine advantages of Sony's dslr's.

so you have a choice here Don. you can either be full of shit in your comparisons basing it on myths trying to intentionally mislead people or you could be fair dinkum and call it like it is. the sony system is strong enuf to stand on its own without you having to make crap up about it.

i'm not bashing sony here, i dont do that. i'm just calling a spade a spade.

btw seanhoxx: as i have said NUMEROUS times on this forum, i think sony's entry into dslr has been the best thing that has happened to dslr since canon introduced a FF digital camera. i want sony to be a dominant player cos i think it will benefit everyone.
    Last edited by Rooz; 09-05-2008 at 07:03 PM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

The D90 is an intro-level camera .... what about the D300 ... apples with apples, pal. LOL Geez Get another spade, that one's obviously broke.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-05-2008 at 07:12 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

The D90 is a toy camera
    What? Seriously...you really want to make people respect you even less?
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

the d300 is pretty far removed from the a700 in perfromance and features Don. so its not apples with apples at all by comparing them. granted the a700 offers a more professional build than the d90 but the d90 far exceeds the a700 in features and "bang for buck", will probably perform at least as good if not better in IQ...and is $300 cheaper to boot.

you can argue this till the cows come home to try and convince yourself and others that sony offers a cheaper, better value kit but you are not being truthful or genuine by doing it. whether its initial cost, whether its building a pro kit, whether its buying accessories, the Sony system makes you pay for in-body IS. some people are happy with that, good luck to them, (and you). but pay more you WILL.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Visual Reality, I work with an A700: I know the A700; the A700 is a superior camera. The D90 is no A700. They are not in the same class.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Visual Reality, I work with an A700: I know the A700; the A700 is a superior camera. The D90 is no A700. They are not in the same class.
    lol by what measure ? apart from construction and IS the d90 is more than a match for the a700.

it has the same sensor which nikon so far have been able to implement better than sony. it has LV and video aswell...not to mention access to the best flash system around. the d90 is a better specced body mate.
    flickr

Your dreams may be realized in this camera, Rooz ... I agree that with this new camera, the lines are blurred ..., then again, I'm just waiting a few more days.

Why fight? Just switch! You'll see ...

flickr® & Sdi