Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

want a camera that won't take over

I've been shooting film for years and I've switched to digital. I bought a Nikon D40x and it's really swell. However, these days I find that the technology is actually getting in my way. With my old cameras everything is so easy- iso, shutter speed, aperture, maybe some flash, compose and shoot. Now it's sifting through menus and giving away control to the camera because it doesn't want to change shutter speed and aperture at the same time, or I have the shot I want and forgot to change one of the gazillion settings so it's blown, or some other frustration.
    I need a digital SLR with at least 8 megapixels that functions like a film camera. This would make my decade. I do really like a lot about my D40x, but I don't use most of what is built into it. Really, the less it tries to do for me the better.
    So does anyone know of such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by eroeling View Post
    I've been shooting film for years and I've switched to digital. I bought a Nikon D40x and it's really swell. However, these days I find that the technology is actually getting in my way. With my old cameras everything is so easy- iso, shutter speed, aperture, maybe some flash, compose and shoot. Now it's sifting through menus and giving away control to the camera because it doesn't want to change shutter speed and aperture at the same time, or I have the shot I want and forgot to change one of the gazillion settings so it's blown, or some other frustration.
    I need a digital SLR with at least 8 megapixels that functions like a film camera. This would make my decade. I do really like a lot about my D40x, but I don't use most of what is built into it. Really, the less it tries to do for me the better.
    So does anyone know of such a thing?
    I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for here... everything you've posted the D40x can do.
    There IS a full manual mode, as well as Tv and Av modes. You honestly do not have to give up any control to the camera that you don't want to.

In response to the second part of your frustration with forgetting a setting... well, the thing about digital cameras is that you can 95% of the time review the picture, make said one small change, and re-shoot the shot. It could be as simple as compensating exposure up or down 1/2 or 1 full step.

I don't get what you're complaining about. Just use manual mode.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr