Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Exclamation No more links to other reviews

Those of you with a keen eye may have noticed that I stopped linking to other camera reviews on the Camera Detail pages about a year ago. I am now going to stop posting links to other reviews at the bottom of my reviews.

The reason for this is simple: I sent out traffic to other sites, but only one or two ever do it in return. Thus, it's not a fair trade.

I absolutely recommend reading other reviews before you buy a camera, but with the slow economy affecting the success of this website, I can no longer afford to send free traffic to my competitors.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Several times I had to turn possible business away because of the links issue on my site. I don't mind being a vendor of photography for alternative marriage websites but I am certainly not going to put a link back to them on the basis that it might put off clients that object to alternative marriages from using my services.

IMHO links are pretty worthless.

I don't blame you Jeff. I was surprised you had them there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    IMHO links are pretty worthless.
    Google disagrees.
    Ouch.

Hi Jeff

Do you have something against linking your reviews and test photos on other sites and forums? I hope not...
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

Cuts both ways?

Hi there Spider...

I think Jeff made it abundantly clear in his first post in this thread:
    I sent out traffic to other sites, but only one or two ever do it in return. Thus, it's not a fair trade.

I absolutely recommend reading other reviews before you buy a camera...
    I totally agree with Jeff's pragmatic decision on this cross-referring issue, as I've noticed from memory only one other popular review site and one "generic" site with a link back to DCRP.

Cheers

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    Google disagrees.
    Google would - their business is in trying to peddle links.

Quote Originally Posted by S_p_i_d_e_r View Post
    Hi Jeff

Do you have something against linking your reviews and test photos on other sites and forums? I hope not...
    No, absolutely not! I encourage people to link to my reviews... and I have no problem with people linking to other sites reviews on these forums (as long as it's not to a site that you run yourself).

What I've stopped doing is providing links to other sites in my own reviews.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

I think it's a smart move. Links out with no back links at the other end do absolutely no good. Now if those other sites are interested in reciprocal linking, that's another story, and could be beneficial to both. We've found DewNewPHPLinks to be a great freeware application to manage those types of links and auto-check that those you've agreed to reciprocate with, continue to reciprocate with you
    Jim
    Fuji S2

I do not read reviews on cameras, automobiles, toasters, printers, or any other item made, so not linking to other reviews is ok with me.
    sw2cam