Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Flash recommendation

i'm considering getting a flash unit in the next couple of months and i was wondering what you guys would recommend on the lower end.
    I can get a Sigma EF 530DG Super Flash between $240-$270 locally.
    I know Metz makes one too but not sure what model or price.
    I can't seem to locate a KM3600 unit but i know that the Sony version of it is still available.
    I also found that Sunpak makes a unit as well but it seems to be only available in SE Asia as far as i can tell.
    I would prefer some recommendations that aren't more than $300 if possible.

i don't need to do anything amazing with them. i want the ability to bounce flash and use a diffuser for portraits as well as use it wireless.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

You see the problem with the '36 ($199) is that it only angles forward and increments straight up. You cannot rotate the head for any side or back flash shots (that's the '56). That's pretty limiting, although you can "wirelessly" trigger, which may be it's only "saving grace", as it is much better as a SLAVE flash unit than a hotshoe one.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-02-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

ah good to know....
    any opinions about the Sigma?

the Sunpak i was referring to is this one here: http://shashinki.com/shop/sunpak-pz4...ght-p-945.html
    Last edited by Elisha; 11-02-2008 at 07:15 PM.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Lightbulb Flashing ahead ...

You night want to review this thread from "Cali-Gal", our ace lady-golfer, from several months ago, to kind of get a feel for what is involved in flash photography. It may help in your final decision, perhaps not. It is definitely worth a read, especially the links in the thread.

BTW: Ask Frank about SIOGMA 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lenses and the way they are geared ...

Good luck.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-02-2008 at 07:22 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The Sony wireless function is awesome! It's great for making stills of objects. It was super easy to do. No thinking involved. Set both to wireless and fire away

Here's an example I set up

Flash off to the right, on the stand, wirelessly of course, pointing upwards with the bounce card up
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II