Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Panasonic DMC-TZ4 vs. TZ5

Could someone explain the differences between the different models? I was planning to get a TZ4K, simply because it is the cheapest. However, if one of the other ones are better, I wouldn't mind getting another over the TZ4K.

I am most concerned with low light performance. I know point & shoot cameras are not the best for low light situations but they can get decent shots.

Also, I will try to purchase the camera over newegg. Any suggestions on which warranty I should get with the camera (or how long is the service warranty that comes with the camera, for those who have one)?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by misterjuju; 08-14-2008 at 08:48 PM.

There shouldn't be any real difference in performance; they use the same sensor and lens. The big differences is the TZ5 has a much better LCD then the TZ4 (which is important since there's no optical view finder) and it has red eye removal. The TZ5k I think is the TZ50 in the US, has WiFi.

misterjuju,

Greetings.

Don't worry about the last letter, "A", "K", etc. It means different body colours to choose from: Black (K), Silver (S), Blue (A).

As for the differences, specs between TZ4 and TZ5, check out the official site:
    http://panasonic.net/pavc/lumix/tz5_...fications.html
    Last edited by howi; 08-14-2008 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    There shouldn't be any real difference in performance; they use the same sensor and lens. The big differences is the TZ5 has a much better LCD then the TZ4 (which is important since there's no optical view finder) and it has red eye removal. The TZ5k I think is the TZ50 in the US, has WiFi.
    David,

Not quite. Like I've mentioned, the last letter is to differentiate the body colours. TZ50 is just TZ50, there're two body colours to choose from: TZ50K (Black), TZ50S (Silver). So TZ5K is just basically TZ5 in Black body color.

Besides a "nicer" LCD screen in TZ5, it also has a slightly larger CCD sensor than TZ4, more pixel counts; TZ5 can capture video at 720p, 30fps. Again, a side-by-side spec comparison at http://panasonic.net/pavc/lumix/tz5_...fications.html

In the real world, both performance should be comparable if you don't do video capture or care about the mega-pixel counts.
    Last edited by howi; 08-14-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Your best buy for insurance is your own Home Owners insurance company. Mine, USAA, insures my camera equipment for $25 per year that covers ALL, my cameras, lenses, filters, bags wires, etc against loss, stolen, dropage. The last is very important to me.
    . StanStan

........... Old too soon, smart too late.
    Panasonic FZ18 TZ3... TCON 17+

After close inspection I have found that different colours of paint on DMC-TZ5 cameras are different to the touch. Blue paint cameras (TZ5A) look unpolished and feel mat while black (TZ5K) and silver (TZ5S) ones have a glossy look and feel smooth to the touch.
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair